Can I claim both the UK and Irish State Pensions?

I spent 25 years in the UK (1990 – 2015) and have received confirmation from HMRC that I can buy 2 years contributions to qualify for UK pension when I reach 67.
Are you sure two is enough? Usually you need 35 years. 25+2=27.

If not, would I qualify if I stayed on for 2 more years (10 years Class A)?
You will qualify for nothing unless you have 520 PRSI contributions . Remember that if you have investment income, rental profits, or self employed income in any year >€5,000 you pay €500 Class S PRSI or 4% of income, whichever is higher. Even if you are no longer employed between 63 and 65 this might apply.

Remember you will get your local authority lump sum and pension at age 65.

Are you in a pension scheme at present? If not, and if you have the means, you could put money into a PRSA now, claim tax relief on the contribution and retire it next year. You would receive 25% of the PRSA as a tax-free lump sum and you can draw down the remaining 75% over a couple of tax years. You can get 52 Class S PRSI contributions from such withdrawals, which could be added to your Class A.

Thanks for your reply

I did get a pension forecast from HMRC to confirm I would receive 169 (+£16 contracted out during a brief spell at EY) if I paid 2 years and spoke to them by telephone re application to pay. Have sent the form (CF83) - awaiting reply.

Thanks for confirmation on the 520. Sadly I have no other income so won't be liable for Class S.
Do I qualify for a local authority pension? I have a hazy (very, it was a long time ago) memory that some money was returned to me when I resigned - does that not exempt me from local authority scheme?. I promptly booked a holiday in Greece with the money - the folly of youth

Do I qualify for a local authority pension?
Almost certainly yes if you were an employee paying Class D. Ring them up.

I paid 2 years and spoke to them by telephone re application to pay.
You should be able to buy back all years to 2016 and a few going forward to get you the full amount which is £221 a week.

Sadly I have no other income so won't be liable for Class S.
Could a friend employ you on a few hours a week? Could you do some self employment? Minimum Irish state pension is over €100 a week. Pay two years PRSI if you can at all.

There is possibly a six-figure lifetime sum in it for you if you follow the above three pieces of advices. Listen to them!

Almost certainly yes if you were an employee paying Class D. Ring them up.

You should be able to buy back all years to 2016 and a few going forward to get you the full amount which is £221 a week.

Could a friend employ you on a few hours a week? Could you do some self employment? Minimum Irish state pension is over €100 a week. Pay two years PRSI if you can at all.

There is possibly a six-figure lifetime sum in it for you if you follow the above three pieces of advices. Listen to them!
I will - thank you so much!

Back