Can I claim both the UK and Irish State Pensions?

Beate1961

Can someone please explain if this statement which I found on a website is still true? Not for me, but for my husband who has been both employed and self-employed for 32 years in Ireland and employed in the UK for 16 years.

Yes, you can be paid both the UK and Irish state pensions if you qualify for both based on your respective social insurance record in each country. Records cannot be combined in each country if applying for independent pensions.​

Does this mean that his Irish contributory pension is not being deducted by the amount received from a contributory UK pension?

Thanks for any help offered on this subject.

Yes you can claim both.

What are your ages? Where are you working if at all today? What are your PRSI and NI records exactly?

You will get good advice if you share this detail including how to buy back UK years.

Yes you can claim both.

What are your ages? Where are you working if at all today? What are your PRSI and NI records exactly?

You will get good advice if you share this detail including how to buy back UK years.
Hi, thank you for getting back to me. My husband is going to be 66 in July, I am 62. He would not be interested in buying back UK years, just claim for the 16 years he worked there (employed) and claim for the 32 years here in Ireland. He will continue to be part-time employed in Ireland and for some time will be self-employed (sole trader) until he winds up his business. Not sure what you mean by PRSI and NI records exactly? Re PRSI he would have a mix of class A, S and K PRSI contributions (I only found out recently that if you are employed while being self-employed your PRSI class S contributions change to K).

Thanks you for any help offered.

He would not be interested in buying back UK years, just claim for the 16 years he worked there
He should absolutely buy back years. He’ll get a full UK state pension at 67 for life and will make the cost of buying it all pack by 69.

See more here.

He will continue to be part-time employed in Ireland and for some time will be self-employed (sole trader) until he winds up his business.
how many PRSI credits does he have exactly? In some circumstances it might be worth delaying pension drawdown which is an option for people born in 1958 or later. You can get a record of credits reckonable for pension purposes using mygovID.

NI records exactly?
How many years exactly he paid national insurance (NI) in the UK. But you’re sure it’s 16 it seems.

Last edited:
He would not be interested in buying back UK years, just claim for the 16 years he worked there (employed) and claim for the 32 years here in Ireland.

I agree fully with @Dr Strangelove on this. He shouldn't miss out on the opportunity to buy additional years in the UK State Pension system. At present the amount he would need to pay is very small relative to the amount of additional UK pension he will receive. It's excellent value for money.

Hi, thank you for getting back to me. My husband is going to be 66 in July, I am 62. He would not be interested in buying back UK years, just claim for the 16 years he worked there (employed) and claim for the 32 years here in Ireland. He will continue to be part-time employed in Ireland and for some time will be self-employed (sole trader) until he winds up his business. Not sure what you mean by PRSI and NI records exactly? Re PRSI he would have a mix of class A, S and K PRSI contributions (I only found out recently that if you are employed while being self-employed your PRSI class S contributions change to K).

Thanks you for any help offered.
Please come back on here in July, and let us know how much he gets from each one! I'm in a similar position, but not in the self employed part. Have to wait until next year for mine.

I agree fully with @Dr Strangelove on this. He shouldn't miss out on the opportunity to buy additional years in the UK State Pension system. At present the amount he would need to pay is very small relative to the amount of additional UK pension he will receive. It's excellent value for money.
I checked it out and he is not eligible for this, as the last time he lived and worked in the UK was 1990. I understand there is a time limit to being able to do this.

Who did you check with?
I just checked it online. As a newbie it appears I cannot add hyperlinks to my post. On the UK government site there is a link to national-contributions-extending-the-voluntary-national-insurance-contributions-deadline

I just checked it online. As a newbie it appears I cannot add hyperlinks to my post. On the UK government site there is a link to national-contributions-extending-the-voluntary-national-insurance-contributions-deadline
Yes the deadline is extended.
I'm not sure how you read the online information; but I think you read it wrong.

From what you have posted here, I believe your partner is eligible to make voluntary NICs and I would recommend you apply as quickly as possible.

I apologies in advance if i have added my question in the wrong Forum but here goes anyway.
I worked in ROI 18 years accruing enough PRSI credits to claim for a State Pension.
I also have enough years accrued in the UK for a full State Pension.
Can i claim for both when i retire in a few years time. I am currently looking at moving back to the UK.
I am trying to work out what Pension pot I will have when i retire.

May I ask for some advice please…. Saw some very helpful info on this thread. Apologies if I'm barging in!

I spent 25 years in the UK (1990 – 2015) and have received confirmation from HMRC that I can buy 2 years contributions to qualify for UK pension when I reach 67.

Before I went to UK, I worked for my local County Council from 1980 to 1989 ( so have 9 years Class D contributions). I returned to Ireland in 2015 and have been working since 2017 (part time – Class A contributions). I would very much like to retire at 63 when I will have 8 years Class A contributions.

Do I qualify for a separate Irish State pension when I reach 66?

If not, would I qualify if I stayed on for 2 more years (10 years Class A)?

To qualify for a State Pension (Contributory), you must be aged 66 or over, and have enough Class A, E, F, G, H, N, or S social insurance contributions (PRSI). These are also called full-rate PRSI contributions.

You must meet the following 3 conditions:

2. Number of paid PRSI contributions

The number of paid PRSI contributions you need for the State Pension (Contributory) depends on your retirement date.

If you reach pension age on or after 6 April 2012, you need to have 520 full-rate PRSI contributions (10 years’ contributions).

It looks to me that to even start, you need 520 fully paid conts at class A.

I checked it out and he is not eligible for this, as the last time he lived and worked in the UK was 1990. I understand there is a time limit to being able to do this.
I left the UK in 1981 and I was able to top up my UK pension over the last few years.

2. Number of paid PRSI contributions

The number of paid PRSI contributions you need for the State Pension (Contributory) depends on your retirement date.

If you reach pension age on or after 6 April 2012, you need to have 520 full-rate PRSI contributions (10 years’ contributions).

It looks to me that to even start, you need 520 fully paid conts at class A.
Thanks. Thought that might be the case - was hoping my local government contributions might count for something. So...working an extra 2 x years would bring me to 520 - I guess I might qualify for something from both countries. Hoping I can clarify that before deciding to stay on the extra 24 months.

Back