Can I cancel a 'Vehicle Order and Agreement'?

pingin

I'm afraid it's the age-old story. Last Friday I had a test drive of a secondhand car in Belfast. The test drive was enjoyable. It was a nice car (Skoda Yeti), although there were some niggling things about it. Having had my eye on one of these for a number of months and having read/watched so many positive reviews and videos I thought this would be the one for me. So I signed a 'Vehicle Order and Agreement' document.

However, on the way home on a lovely day, I got thinking. My present car (2006 reg Honda Jazz with 196,000 Km on the clock) has never let me down in the twelve years I've owned it. It runs and drives very well, has a bright interior and a simple dash layout). I don't really need a multi-function screen, air conditioning or heated electric mirrors and all the other buttons and functions that come with a new car. All right, it probably needs a suspension upgrade but that's about all.

I've spent just over €500 on maintenance (brake pipes + NCT service) in the past year.

I felt a real emotional tug from my old car and felt that I didn't want to part with it just yet. Plus, it would mean repayments of €230 per month, compared to €0 at the moment. There's a lot to be said for being debt free, although these are thing I probably should have thought about beforehand.

You'll probably say the dealer saw me coming.

I'd paid a £99 holding fee already. No other money has been paid. My question is: is there any basis on which I can cancel the deal at this stage or am I legally bound to go through with it?

Many thanks.

1) Read the agreement and see what it says. It might have a cooling off period.

2) Assuming it does not allow you to opt out, ring the dealer and say you have changed your mind.

See what they say. They will probably hold onto the deposit which is reasonable.

Brendan

1) Read the agreement and see what it says. It might have a cooling off period.

2) Assuming it does not allow you to opt out, ring the dealer and say you have changed your mind.

See what they say. They will probably hold onto the deposit which is reasonable.

Brendan
Thank you Brendan. The agreement says that the company can cancel if they can't meet all their obligations. The only reference to the customer cancelling is if they buy online or from a distance. I presume a customer who signs up on the premises also has the same rights. I'll give them a call in the morning. Thanks again.

The only reference to the customer cancelling is if they buy online or from a distance. I presume a customer who signs up on the premises also has the same rights.
I'm afraid this is unlikely. There are enhanced consumer protection measures in law that only apply when purchasing online. Contracts made in person usually don't have a cooling-off period, online purchases must. All they can say is no though.

Rang the dealer in nervous anticipation this morning.

I'd hardly got my speech out before he said no problem, everything's cancelled. No charges. They hadn't even taken the initial holding fee/deposit from my account. I was heartily relieved and very grateful. Maybe it's a reflection of the amount of business they're getting at the moment.

Lesson learned. I'll know better in future (though I should have known better at my age)! Thanks again for the responses.

Back