Can I build an exempted extension while waiting for planning for other works?

XMarks

We are sale agreed on a property. We would like to build a single storey extension to the rear (no more than 40 square metres) which I understand is exempt from planning.

We would also like to change the windows to the front of the house and extend slightly as our neighbours have done. I know we will require planning permission for this.

My question is can we build the rear extension while waiting for planning permission for the others parts?

I'd seek advice from someone well qualified in planning matters. So long as all details of your development to the rear are compliant with the exempted development regulations, you are entitled to build that. Doing so before the proposed extension to the front means you have the full 40sqm to play with. The 40sqm exemption applies to the original footprint of the house, so the area any other extension work comes off that total.

Where it gets complicated is in applying for permission while also carrying out exempted development. You'll need to supply site plans, I'm not sure how likely a site visit is, but if they see an extension going up that wasn't on those plans...

So long as you meet all other criteria for exempted development for the portion to the rear, could you not include that in the planning application? That would greatly simplify the process if you ever go to sell the house.

Back