Can I avoid stamp duty on Irish shares by buying abroad?

landlord

I was considering making a small purchase of Ryanair shares on Degiro to take advantage of the recent dip. It is sold on various different exchanges. I guess one based in euros would avoid exchange rate fees. Therefore I could choose from Frankfurt, Extra or the Irish stock exchange. ( it's also available on the London and NASDAQ).
As it's an Irish company will I have to pay stamp duty at 1%? Can I avoid this by not purchasing it on the Irish stock exchange?
Also will Degiro automatically take off this 1% when I purchase and sell or do I have to do it myself some other way.
Thanks...

Last edited:
Thanks.....
Any advice on which exchange to Buy them on. Should I look at the one with the highest volume?

If the Irish company has US ADRs (very few have) you can buy these without paying stamp duty. Also useful for UK companies as most of the UK Bluechips have US ADRs.

From reading the recent Department of Finance consultation on Stamp Duty (accepting submissions until end of the month), apparently if buying for less than €1,000 on the Main Securities Market of ISE, you're exempt from stamp duty. And if buying on the Enterprise Securities Market, exempt altogether (to encourage investment in start-ups basically).
So how small of a shareholding are you buying?

From reading the recent Department of Finance consultation on Stamp Duty (accepting submissions until end of the month), apparently if buying for less than €1,000 on the Main Securities Market of ISE, you're exempt from stamp duty. And if buying on the Enterprise Securities Market, exempt altogether (to encourage investment in start-ups basically).
So how small of a shareholding are you buying?

The 1,000 limit does not apply if buying via Degiro. AFAIK it does not apply if buying the share via crest but id have to double check the reason

The 1,000 limit does not apply if buying via Degiro. AFAIK it does not apply if buying the share via crest but id have to double check the reason
Uh oh...poor form if so. I take it it's the traditional, €25 per trade brokers who use CREST... (certainly I remember when setting up my old Goodbody account about 10 years ago I had to sign a CREST form)

1. Is stamp duty due on Irish Shares only (i.e a Company Incorporated in Ireland)?
    1. Example - If I bought shares of an American company for 2000 euro no stamp duty would be due?
  2. For ETFs / ETCs no stamp duty is due ever, even if it is incorporated in Ireland?
    1. Example If I buy an Exchanged Traded Commodity (ETC), value 2000euro that is incorporated in Ireland would stamp duty be due?
  3. For Shares of irish companies and required Stamp duty to be paid do degiro add transactions or deduct as a cost automatically? If yes, would I need to report the stamp duty paid to revenue as well.
Sorry if these questions are repititive, I just want to be 100% sure, I found revenue literature confusing.

Back