Can I ask the estate agent the ID of the viewers and bidders?

Churchstreet

I have engaged an estate to sell a property that I can no longer manage. There has been little movement over the past 6 months apart from a few viewings and two offers below the asking price. One question I want to know, as the seller who has engaged an estate agent, am I entitled to know who the bidders and viewers were ? Its a single agent sale so only one estate agent involved.

, as the seller who has engaged an estate agent, am I entitled to know who the bidders and viewers were ?
Most definitely I would have thought? I fail to see any GDPR implications to the contrary. It's akin to a prospective employer wishing to know who has applied for a job vacancy that has been promoted on their behalf by a recruitment professional.

I fail to see any GDPR implications to the contrary.
I dealt with an estate agent recently to let a family property and they were very GDPR-conscious and would only tell me the names of preferred tenants and absolutely nothing more.

I had to use linkedin to check out that they had jobs.

According to the PSRA code of conduct for Property Service Providers (emphasis is mine):

Confidentiality applies to all communications and engagement between a property services provider and their client or customer. Any matter relating to a client or customer’s private and personal business must not be disclosed without the consent of the relevant person(s), except in circumstances where disclosure may be required by law. Personal information must be stored in a secure manner. The property services provider’s duty of confidentiality is paramount.

I dealt with an estate agent recently to let a family property and they were very GDPR-conscious and would only tell me the names of preferred tenants and absolutely nothing more.

I had to use linkedin to check out that they had jobs.
I'd be looking for a new estate agent if that happened me. Bidding and selection processes are opaque enough as it is, with plenty of potential for crookery and sharp practice, without them adding another layer of obfuscation.

If I had an old style ad in the paper looking for a tenant, I wouldn't dream of accepting an anonymous bid. Why should I accept anything different if I instead route it through an estate agent?

If I had an old style ad in the paper looking for a tenant, I wouldn't dream of accepting an anonymous bid. Why should I accept anything different if I instead route it through an estate agent?
Indeed it's a good reason for to do it yourself. You basically have to take the estate agent's word that the tenants are who they say they are. In my case it was a high-demand area and estate agent was picking from the more solvent end of the tenant pool and it's worked out well. But still the landlord has to take an awful lot on trust.

On the, same activity estate, agents but about auction sales,. Budx have, a, faq section and in it refer potential purchaser bidder who has, queries on legal pack for, property being put up for auction on its, platform back to vendor solicitor to reply to rather than refer to independent legal advise to avoid conflict of. Interest. Not at all good, advise.

V unwise to go to vendor solicitor with queries, on legal pack of their clients, hse.

want to sell and, so does, auctioneer. Title to properties in mud estates, where burden on folio as to covenants affecting use and enjoyment of property that rank in priority to burden of charge, but instrument creating that burden not on title pack. Purchaser bidder should insist on that instrument being handed over. It may not not be important to bidder but it is, a, burden on title, and, v vv nb one where No cert of charge confirming roads, services, abd, public open space in charge. And, compliance, with pp nor condition if contract for sale.

V unwise to go to vendor solicitor with queries, on legal pack of their clients, hse.
Your posts are a little difficult to rear with a few too many commas, but you are misinterpreting that completely.

No where do they suggest taking legal advise from the purchaser's solicitor. It is prohibited for a solicitor to advise both parties in a sale!

If a purchaser or their legal representative have any queries on the legal documents, you are advised to direct them to the vendor's solicitor. There is nothing untoward or unusual about that. In a regular house sale via an estate agent it is common in the early stages to direct such queries to the agent who will pass them on to the vendor. BidX1 are just clarifying that they do not operate that middle-man role and you need to ask directly.

I repeat v v unwise for a prospective bidder to refer queries on legal pack to vendor solicitor with queries. and avoid conflict of interest situations. I am a solicitor. fAR FAR FAR FROM WISE,

I repeat v v unwise for a prospective bidder to refer queries on legal pack to vendor solicitor with queries. and avoid conflict of interest situations. I am a solicitor. fAR FAR FAR FROM WISE,
I know when I bought my last property my solicitor sought clarification on a couple of points from the vendor's solicitor. I'm happy they did as I'm not an expert on such matters and they helped resolve what could have been a costly issue. It's clear they were representing my interests and no potential conflict of interest arose.

How do you see a conflict arising from such queries? Who would you suggest such queries should be addressed to? The postman?

To vendors solicitor but THRU own solicitor. U had your own solicitor Bidex. Safer and clearer to tell purchasers get independent legal advise. tHERE are people now trying to sell trying to get title together ... not saying any more . But your comments ??

To vendors solicitor but THRU own solicitor. U had your own solicitor Bidex. Safer and clearer to tell purchasers get independent legal advise. tHERE are people now trying to sell trying to get title together ... not saying any more . But your comments ??
Where in BidX terms do they even suggest you should not be using your own solicitor? They just clarify where the purchaser or their solicitor should be directing queries. You are reading things into it that just aren't there.

When I talk to an estate agent about buying a house, none of them tell me I should be taking independent legal advice. It's just the same thing happening here.

Again, could you clarify how a conflict of interest might arise here? Are you suggesting there are lots of solicitors out there representing vendors on BidX1 that will happily breach their regulations and provide advice to a purchaser?

Bidx are simply a selling platform. They sell on behalf of owners and receivers.

They do not act as a seller.

If anything their system is very clear and transparent as you have access to all legal documents before you even register to bid.

If someone bids without getting legal advice, then that person is extremely foolish. Assuming they do get legal advice, if their solicitor had a query, then the details of solicitor with all the details and the absolute best person to get a definite answer to a query is there in the documents.

I've bought on bidx1, solicitor had a couple of queries, made a call, got the answers and a confirmation of answers by email an hour later.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all property sales had such access to queries before making bids?

I'm curious, why do you want to know?

Unless you want to ban a particular person from buying the house, why would you care?

One question I want to know, as the seller who has engaged an estate agent, am I entitled to know who the bidders and viewers were ?

I don't know the specific rules but the last time we sold the EA gave us good feedback on the profile of all viewers and bidders - eg, first time buyers & mortgage approved, cash buyers with proof of funds, in a chain, young couple, retired couple, etc. He also gave some background on any that showed serious interest, eg, where from, interest in or connection to the area, work background, etc. But he did not give names and addresses - whether this was to do with rules and regulations, I don't know. But nor did we seek such data because we weren't interested.

Im coming on about this post again and amazed and shocked with the avalanches.
It is how BIDDER interprets advice on bidix1 q bearing in mind that the house being sold are houses purchased from builders that is important and how he acts on it. The conflict of interest is not on the closing of the sale (when vendor and agent get a fee) but on resale when Murkey title may cause a sale to fall thru ( e.g qualification of title to banks cos estate not in charge and no contract to fall back on as general conditions on planning deleted in contract from BUILDER carried into CONTRACT FOR RESALE as estate not in charge.
all I am saying is that a vendor who loses a sale because an estate is not in charge and has no contract to enforce compliance with the pp may look to those who gained from the sale to him be it auctioneer for builder or auctioneer for purchaser form builder.
For the record auctioneers in UK are setting up panels of independent legal advisors to refer queries on legal pack

Where in BidX terms do they even suggest you should not be using your own solicitor? They just clarify where the purchaser or their solicitor should be directing queries. You are reading things into it that just aren't there.

When I talk to an estate agent about buying a house, none of them tell me I should be taking independent legal advice. It's just the same thing happening here.

Again, could you clarify how a conflict of interest might arise here? Are you suggesting there are lots of solicitors out there representing vendors on BidX1 that will happily breach their regulations and provide advice to a purchaser?

Your posts are a little difficult to rear with a few too many commas, but you are misinterpreting that completely.

No where do they suggest taking legal advise from the purchaser's solicitor. It is prohibited for a solicitor to advise both parties in a sale!

If a purchaser or their legal representative have any queries on the legal documents, you are advised to direct them to the vendor's solicitor. There is nothing untoward or unusual about that. In a regular house sale via an estate agent it is common in the early stages to direct such queries to the agent who will pass them on to the vendor. BidX1 are just clarifying that they do not operate that middle-man role and you need to ask directly.

Back