Can having a guarantor with property as collateral help increase the approved mortgage?

itsalongshot

So I am a single 25 year old who just finished a degree in IT and I am starting a 40k job in financial services software in Dublin
The idea of purchasing a 2 bedroom apt in the city and renting out the 2nd room while I live there seems like it could be a great setup.
I can be lent the 25k deposit on a 250k property.In an area where i can get 900-1100 pm for the 2nd room.They are obviously not going to give me a mortgage of 225k on a 40k salary(I do obviously expect my salary to raise to 60-80k over 5-7 years over time but now it's 40k)
My singlr mother other owns outright with no mortgage our family home worth about 400k and she is willing to be a guarantor and put the house as collateral.She is 60 and makes 45k a year in a permanent job.After I move out there will still be one dependant child living in the family home.
With the current rules would the bank give me a 225k mortgage based on this?

The banks have enough headaches trying to repossess their existing bad mortgages without going after a woman aged 60 with a dependant child, if you default.
I would suggest that she might move her banking business to the bank where you are getting the mortgage on top of offering her home as collateral as an added incentive.

No.
The days of having a guarantor are gone.
Your mum would need to be a joint owner with you to have any impact.

Back