Can estate agents charge

Jojo7

I put my house up for sale, then had an offer accepted over the phone. Couple of days later for personal reasons I pulled out, no survey had been done.

They said I would be liable for the full amount but as a gesture they would reduce it to half so I owe them a £1000.

The buyer was ready to buy but how could he have been able and willing when no survey had been completed???

Are they allowed to do this

What did you agree to? What is in the term and conditions of your contract with the agent....

It says if we find a buyer willing, ready and able - just unsure how they can be all them when no survey had been done

It says if we find a buyer willing, ready and able - just unsure how they can be all them when no survey had been done

If that was the deal, then it would be reasonable that the agent provide evidence of such a buyer and that you can independently verify that evidence.

Just a note, the buyer is under no obligation to get a structural survey done on the house. If there was a cash buyer then its up to them if they wish to do so (I recommemnd its always advisable). If there was a mortgage involved I assume they bank would always insist on this..
You pulled out when the sale was agreed. The auctioneer has done work to get it to that stage and personally I think it is very reasonable of him to reduce it by half.

Well first of all there is not obligation to do any surveys and since you are the one that pulled out of the deal the inference is that the buyer was willing to go ahead - bottom line: pay up!

Are they allowed to do this

Sorry to be blunt but this is a silly question.

What do you mean by are they allowed? do you expect mummy to say "stop that! I forbid it".

Anyone can send you a bill for anything they want.

Two questions arise, would a court find in their favour? are you morally bound to pay?

I would say no to both but I am neither a judge nor a priest. Nor do I believe an estate agent who says I have a buyer.

Back