Can cats be declawed?

MargeSimpson

We have two cats. They finally hit 6months old, so we got them spayed. Now they are out and about and happier for it. But now they are jumping up and down off our cars and scratching the paint. Needless to say 'Homer' and I are not too impressed. Has anyone any success dealing with a problem like this? Can cats be declawed??

Re: Can cats be declawed??

Yes they can. Google threw up this [broken link removed].

Marion

Some people consider this a very cruel thing to do to a cat. Why not consider some of the alternatives listed in the article or maybe donate them to owners that are less car proud instead?

I agree. It does seem very cruel. It would leave the cats 'handicapped'. I'm not THAT car proud. I'll turn a blind eye.

MargeSimpson said:
I agree. It does seem very cruel. It would leave the cats 'handicapped'. I'm not THAT car proud. I'll turn a blind eye.

Oh but what about the poor cars! They need lovin too ;)

Re: Gently spray water on them.

JR says if you were to lightly spray water on them any time you catch them on the cars they might get the message and stay away from them.

sueellen, you have to catch them first!
They climb up underneath the cars into the engine compartment and settle down for a kip.
Anyone would think they were being miss treated. Two weeks ago we spent 100 euro on a kennel for them. Lined with their favourite blankets and cushions.
Obviously what I need is two toddlers running around then my priorites would be refocused very quickly!!! :rolleyes:

cats>cars

In many countries it's illegal to declaw cats for cruelty reasons. It might be illegal in Ireland.

Paws have claws.

It is illegal under EU law.Name me the person who does so and I bring him/her to court.
Why do you keep pets at all,Marge?!
If you need a substitute for a baby-I am going the psychological way-you could amputate their legs as well....

I'd agree with previous posters that it would be cruel to get them declawed but congratulations on getting them spayed. Not a cat person but have been feeding two wild cats (actually very timid) for almost eight years now so have been observing their behaviour.

I often see them sharpening their claws on railway sleepers in my garden or else on the bark of a particular tree. They seem to like softish wood they can make an impression on i.e. claw out splinters of wood. If you could get some suitable wooden material maybe that could solve the problem? A vet or a veterinary nurse could advice on that I'd imagine. Wouldn't it be awful for them if they couldn't scratch?

:)

My response will probably not go well after reading all the others but...my 2 cats were declawed at the age of 4 months which is what my Vet advised. They had abslutley no problems but it can be more difficult if the cat is older. That was done 13 yrs ago because I wanted mine to be house cats which was also advised by the Vet for a lenghty life of likely 18-20 years. Most outdoor cats to not live that long. I love my cats madly and also love to not have clawed up furniture. Declawed cats have a much more difficult time of defending themselves so I would only do this if you keep your cats inside. That said, now everyone can reply and disagree with me.

What do you mean by "house cats"?

Do they not go outside at all? Are they under kitty house arrest?

"House cats" always struck me as a US/Canadian thing where they keep them indoors all (and I mean all) the time. A close family friend in Toronto has three that never venture outdoors. Mind you, I was recently speaking to a former colleague who lives near Seattle who mentioned one part of the rationale for keeping them indoors in his area - racoons will eat them if they're outdoors! :eek:

MargeSimpson said:
We have two cats. They finally hit 6months old, so we got them spayed. Now they are out and about and happier for it. But now they are jumping up and down off our cars and scratching the paint. Needless to say 'Homer' and I are not too impressed. Has anyone any success dealing with a problem like this? Can cats be declawed??
Yes, they can be declawed - and it is a horrible, abusive, mutilation to any living thing that leaves them unable to climb or fight to defend themselves. Try pulling off one of Homer's toenails the next time he leaves the toilet seat up before you proceed with your plan. I've never heard of cats scratching car paintwork. Their claws are normally withdrawn inside the paw.

If you can't keep them, find a good home for them - Don't mutilate them.

ClubMan said:
"House cats" always struck me as a US/Canadian thing where they keep them indoors all (and I mean all) the time. A close family friend in Toronto has three that never venture outdoors. Mind you, I was recently speaking to a former colleague who lives near Seattle who mentioned one part of the rationale for keeping them indoors in his area - racoons will eat them if they're outdoors! :eek:

The main reason for not letting cats out in the US is that they may come back with Rabies after a fight with a racoon or squirrel.

I have no intention of declawing them now. Until last night I didn't know what was involved or how it affected them. I just saw scratches on the car and figured it was a solution.
And as for the toddler comment.....HB1, that was in jest!

I know if you do declaw them you cannot leave them out any more as they are essentially defenceless and will get the crap kicked out of them in any fights...

I have a cat (who coincidentally is called Homer!) and I love him to bits. For the first couple of months, I didn't let him out at all as the last cat I had went walkies and never returned :( He's eight months old and has been spayed. Now that he's outside all day he doesn't bother with his scratcing post and if If he looks like he's going to claw anything indoors now, I just have to say "Homer!" and he knows it's bold.

It works when he tries to drink from the loo too. I don't know why cats are always trying to drink out of puddles and water features (my mother's cats) when they have fresh water in their bowl. I used to think that it was tap water was too cold but it's not.

Rebecca

Unregistered said:
What do you mean by "house cats"?

Do they not go outside at all? Are they under kitty house arrest?

House cats are usually pure breed cats, who are born into what is called "kitten pools". These are cats who's parents were indoor cats and parents parents etc. They are usually very purely breed and therefore quite "delicate". Like birds that were born in captivity (ie canaries) it is actually quite dangerous to let these cats out unless you do have a very closed garden/space. Usually claws or no claws they wouldnt do well in an attack from another cat and they certainly wouldnt be able to negiotate roads and cars. Quite often they are killed by car also immediately once they are let out.

Back