Can bank back date interest on tracker if house rented?

Saoirse

Hi,
I have had a tracker since 2006 on my house. Was forced to rent the house to work abroad in 2011. I had hoped to sell the place pretty quickly but with the property crisis it never happened. The rent covers the mortgage. I want to sell it this year. I only owe half of the property value as I built the house. Need to give 6 months notice to the tenants and do some renovations. Dont have a copy of my mortgage agreement but recall the letter of acceptance has a clause stating no one else was to live in the house. I want to put a stop on my mortgage for a year, I remember I am entitled to do this, or go interest only for a year, which I am also entitled to. I am just concerned that I will be interrogated if I call them and cause problems. What are the consequences if they realise I have been renting it. Can they retrospectively increase and back date the interest mortgage?

The only way they will know if you were renting it out is if you tell them, so don't. They may ask if you changed your address why you did so. If they start querying stuff over the phone ask them to put it all in writing so you can give a proper concise answer to them.

Easy to find out if a property is rented by querying the RTB database that is freely available on their website.

Back