Can anyone say anything good that this government has done which improves our lives?

car

The last government left us in a really bad way. So many wrong things Im forgetting anything they actually did good to make our lives better in anyway with initiatives. car tax co2 emissions, dublin bikes, roads, whatever.

Then the world collapsed. FF were voted out, in comes the coalition. Yes, we're in a bad place and they have to get us out of it. so they cut spending and increase taxes and we can give out and disagree with the methods for that. This post isnt about that. Its about any initiatives. After 2 years of them in power, can anyone tell me anything good that this government has done which improves our lives on a daily basis?
Is there even any "small win" that would shine a light in a very dark room.

Very little

They've failed to tackle the massive inefficiencies and overspending in welfare and the public service. Until the size of the State comes right down, things will not improve.

you would be hard pressed to spot any difference between this government and the last ... because there is none only the faces have changed. The only slight difference is that this government broke every promise it made during the election where as previous governments kept at least one promise.

The last government left us in a really bad way. So many wrong things Im forgetting anything they actually did good to make our lives better in anyway with initiatives. car tax co2 emissions, dublin bikes, roads, whatever.

Then the world collapsed. FF were voted out, in comes the coalition. Yes, we're in a bad place and they have to get us out of it. so they cut spending and increase taxes and we can give out and disagree with the methods for that. This post isnt about that. Its about any initiatives. After 2 years of them in power, can anyone tell me anything good that this government has done which improves our lives on a daily basis?

I wouldn't use the term even "small win" and I don't know of anything the coalition did to improve our lot. The last government were more than dreadful also. We are all a lot worse off in the past six years our homes being the biggest drop in assets. I dont see the situation improving even in the long term for us ordinary Paddys. Minorities seem to be commanding more than the Majority. We have a penal budget coming next week and the whole country is talking about everything except the budget and once again the government has diverted the minds of the public.

Dunnes Stores is facing Receivership within the next few weeks. The Banks, Civil Service, Eircom, An Post, ESB, Teaching, etc have dried up in terms of provinding new jobs. Are there any grounds for optimism? No!

. . . and will all this happen again . . . yes of course it will . . . the people who caused all our misery have got away scott free and are laughing at us many from far distant shores instead of from the inside of one of our prisons.

If anybody can inform me of any light ahead in our tunnel that is not a train speeding against us, I'll be delighted.

I feel as Christmas is approaching we should try and be a little more cheerful however difficult this may be. You will feel better as a result!

I wouldn't use the term even "small win" and I don't know of anything the coalition did to improve our lot. The last government were more than dreadful also. We are all a lot worse off in the past six years our homes being the biggest drop in assets. I dont see the situation improving even in the long term for us ordinary Paddys. Minorities seem to be commanding more than the Majority. We have a penal budget coming next week and the whole country is talking about everything except the budget and once again the government has diverted the minds of the public.

Dunnes Stores is facing Receivership within the next few weeks. The Banks, Civil Service, Eircom, An Post, ESB, Teaching, etc have dried up in terms of provinding new jobs. Are there any grounds for optimism? No!

. . . and will all this happen again . . . yes of course it will . . . the people who caused all our misery have got away scott free and are laughing at us many from far distant shores instead of from the inside of one of our prisons.

If anybody can inform me of any light ahead in our tunnel that is not a train speeding against us, I'll be delighted.

You've listed all the bad things. we all know the bad things. we all know the bad things the last govt did. the state they left us in.

but while not everything the last govt did was bad. Everything this government does seems to be not good. All theyre doing is fighting fires. I am not seeing one proactive initiative.

Take for example Reilly in health, he'll argue locating those primary care centres in his constituency was nothing to do with him. Assume they werent, the thing is though it doesnt look good, it does in fact, look terrible. So amongst everything else bad thats happening, without doing anything worse, theyre making things look worse than they are. And thats not good.

I want to see something good thats not tainted in anyway. Even something small. Give me a dublin bikes for example. Something the people can say "yeah, thats not bad, we can start with that".

thanks to mods for renaming the thread btw.

FG and Labour coalitions are always defined by what they are not; they are not Fianna Fail. That’s usually good enough but now they have a massive majority and a splintered opposition so there’s no wolf at the door to maintain unity. Therefore the fact that they are parties with fundamental differences is becoming more and more obvious. Those differences are wide on economic issues but even wider on social issues. Think of the gulf on social and economic issues between Ivana Bacik and Lucinda Creighton. Unfortunately this government is doomed. They are constrained by the terms of the bail-out agreement, they are in charge of a bankrupt state and they are unable to push through any major reforms because they cannot agree on what direction to go. It’s a pity because there are some very capable people in both parties.

They seem unwilling to reform the public sector & seem to be more than willing to attak services and introduce stelth taxes.

Their reform of local government was to merge 2 councils - Waterford city and county and Galway city and county.

They seem to have carried out precious little reform.

Whilst breaking pay guidlines to some of the own appointees.

Well if today's budget is just about raising taxes and cutting costs do we really need a government to do it? It just seems to be about take take take. That's the easy bit. A bit like the idiots in the VHI with their upward only pricing structures.

Very little

They've failed to tackle the massive inefficiencies.

They choose to cut services rather than inefficiencies.

They annonce measures that they consider "reforms" that are really window dressing.

Eg. Reform of local government.

Merging Waterford and Galway Councils was it.

After 2 years of them in power, can anyone tell me anything good that this government has done which improves our lives on a daily basis? Is there even any "small win" that would shine a light in a very dark room.
Hard to think of anything save for attempts to curtail welfare fraud and to reform the health system. I'm disappointed that there was no bonfire of the quangos. I think that they have got most decisions wrong thus far.

I think they are doing a good job in an extremely difficult situation. I am in a rush now and won't sit down and type out a detailed example but in my opinion they are 'balancing our income with our spendings' and as much as we don't like the cuts and taxes that is a move in the right direction. I am financially worse off in these last few years, but I reiterate, I don't like the cuts and taxes but there is no other alternative right now.

This is the 5th austerity budget.

They seem to be mindlessly cutting services as distnct from cutting waste.

They haven't seriously brought in public sector reform.

All they are interested in is taxes and extra charges.

They have not got this country anythink with regards to a deal on bank debt.

Overall - they have done very little for job seekers.

Do people still believe their guff about free GP care?

I read earlier than only 5 countries in EU have a higher average Public sector salary than the average Private Sector salary...
Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal.

They seem unwilling to reform the public sector & seem to be more than willing to attak services and introduce stelth taxes.

Their reform of local government was to merge 2 councils - Waterford city and county and Galway city and county.

The two Galway councils are not to be merged.

Maybe you're thinking of Limerick?

Also, all town councils are to be abolished - that's a big reform.

Do people still believe their guff about free GP care?

Nothing is free.

They mean "free at the point of delivery".

Hard to do in Irl, as you have to negotiate with the GPs, who are self-employed contractors.

After 2 years of them in power, can anyone tell me anything good that this government has done which improves our lives on a daily basis?

I don't agree with the assumption underlying your question.

When the house is on fire, the firemen tend to not hear the small child's voice asking for a biscuit.

yes, so many people have emigrated its a joy to drive on our new motorways and this government played a major part in that.

Back