can anyone recommend a good kitchen designer?

Brenno123

can anyone recommend a good kitchen designer?
ih ave a budget od bout 400k for the design...

I'd say 400K is tad high for your kitchen!!!!
I assume you mean 40K which puts you in the bespoke category.
David Kiely Kitchens in Carrigiline are excellent or Hogan kitchens in Navan. We got quotes off both of these but in the end we went with Heritage kitchens in Trim a good bit cheaper and just as good

By the way i have no connections to any of the above

I think the OP means they have 400 Euro to pay the kitchen designer... not 400,000 or 40,000 for the kitchen.

Try using a reputable DIY store that can design and consult on a no fee no obligation basis.

If you are in the Cork area, try Keatings. We got a super kitchen last year from them. Try to get a guy called Dalibor, excellent & very helpful. Good Luck!

I'm about to start a small building job in my house - knocking the kitchen and dining room into one. It'll involve a big rsj.

I had great plans initially to get a new inframe cream painted kitchen and now the budget measures are apparant in my pay packet I've had to revise my ideas.

I'm going to keep my existing kitchen but move it into the dining room. I'm going to paint it myself. I need to add more units to it cos the space it's going to is bigger. What I'd like now is to get a kitchen designer to help me make decisions about where to put the cooker, what type of extractor will work in the room, best shape for an island unit etc. I've loads of bits cut out of kitchen magazines but I've no idea how to pull it all together.

When I was in the market for a new kitchen, I went to a local kitchen place and really liked the woman there. She has done some kichens of people I know who have been happy with her. Her kitchens are expensive, in the 20k and up bracket. Do you think it is acceptable to ask someone like her to do a design or is that cheeky? She's local so I don't want to step on toes.

Or has anyone a recommendation for someone who would do this kind of thing? I know you can go to showrooms and get them to design one but tbh I'd hate to waste their time if I wasn't intending to buy from them. I'd like someone to come to the house and see the space where the kitchen will go and see what kitchen I have to begin with.

Thanks

ETA: I was in IKEA yesterday and saw units very like my own so I'll probably buy my additional units from there.

I'm on the northside of Dublin, by the way.

Last edited:
kitchen design cost 100euro with heritage kitchens in Trim, if you order the kitchen from them, you get the design fee refunded....i would say the same practice would apply to other kitchen manufacturers too???

Not necessarily.. some companies would do it for free but you are sort-of cheating them.. they are only doing it as they hope you will buy from them. Anyway, a design that you get for free isn't likely to be that good,.. just someone quickly putting in as many standard cabinets as they can fit in. You could use the Ikea Kitchen planner for that and it's free and a 3D design can be done in minutes.

An interior designer would do a better design, that is all they do.. create designs. They'd probably charge from 200 to 500 for a full design, not sure.

Or you could ask that women that you liked to do it as a nixer.. I'm sure she would, she'd probably be happy with 150 or so.

Can you not just think it through yourself and decide what's best? A new in-frame painted kitchen might cost from 5K to 15K, depending on size and spec.. you can pay more of course but prices have come down lately.

If you are in the Munster area I got a fantastic kitchen with Stylecraft in Ballincollig - they were so helpful & stuck to the timetable & quote -to me most important!- I hate it when companies delay things. Good luck

Or you could ask that women that you liked to do it as a nixer.. I'm sure she would, she'd probably be happy with 150 or so.

That's my question, Joe. Is it not a bit like asking Frank Hession to come to your house to cut your hair at home a a nixer? This is her own business and I don't want to insult her. If I thought she'd be happy to do a nixer, I'd love to get her cos I=even form talking to her for a few minutes I could tell she knows her stuff.

I'm not very good at making decisions, that's one reason why I'd just like to pay someone to come and do all the thinking through for me. I did ask a person I know who is an interior designer to come and have a look but she wouldn't take any money so I can't ask her any more stuff now cos I know she won't let me pay her for her time.

Thanks for the replies.

Hi guys I'm new to this, but I am a kitchen designer (i'm working for a kitchen company so couldn't do the design unless you come to me) but if you go to a company you are interested in they will design for you. our company charges €40.00 to take a design away (which is refunded with a purchase) ....no names but we are a high end company

Thanks Aisling,
Do you not think it would be a bit cheeky to get someone to design it for you in full knowledge that you have no intention of buying from them? The woman I was hoping to ask did more than just fit this unit here and that unit there, if you know what I mean. She was talking about the whole design - the lighting, the sockets etc. Also I have 2 doors into what will be one room from the hall and have to decide which one to block up. I can't even decide what to put on my crackers at lunchtime so you can imagine how hard it is for me to decide something as big as this!!!

Just ask her. I'm sure she'll be happy to help you out. Let us know what she says, and how much she charges.

Be careful who you choose.

Most of the "designers" I've ever dealt with are only intersted in fillling space in your kitchen without much regard to the aesthetics of the end product or its usefulness to the purchaser.

An independeant designer, if you could find one, would be the better way to go.

just curious about where you plan to purchase kitchen, if its off the shelf and diy fit, youll never get the same result as a pro, so dont waste money on designer, I do design , function should always comes first, asthetics will always follow in the design process.

It seems to me that the places that charge for a design when you don't buy your kitchen from them do so because in the past they designed for people who then got their kitchen elsewhere. So paying their fee for the design only is reasonable to everybody. (And you're not treating them unfairly).

Re the woman who you'd like to have design it, I think you should go to her, tell her what you want and that you're prepared to pay for it and see what she says. It may be that this "design only" could be a new source of business for her and she'd be happy to advertise the service now she knows there's a demand for it. Esp in the current economic climate when much fewer people are shelling out for high-end kitchens.

Hi Mel,
I'm very like you when it comes to making decisions - I can't!! After much looking around myself I came across a wonderful lady who runs a company called mynewkitchen.ie. She came out to me last week and took measurements and spoke to me about what i wanted and today she came back with wonderful designs. I was very impressed with her ideas - very practical, she gave me drawings from 3 or four different angles, showed me the units she suggested for each space and made very sensible suggestions. I would highly recommend giving her a call.
Regards

Well, you didn't mention that she owns the company, I thought she was an employee.

I think you can ask an employee to do a nixer, not the owner. But you can say you'd like a design only and she might do that for a certain price.

Even when companies charge for designs they are not necessarily charging the full commercial price of the design.. as evidenced by the fact that an interior designer will charge more. Maybe an interior designer does more however which would allow for a higher price.

One poster above says that their high end kitchen company charges 40 Euro.. that must be less than it actually costs the company to do the design, the same with 100 Euro in my opinion, especially for computer drawn custom or bespoke cabinets, not standard 600mm units.

Companies are charging for designs, to be refunded if going ahead, to get rid of timewasters, that's obvious.. otherwise everyone would get a design if it was free. The large mass producers who do designs for free are the ones where they just put in the standard cabinets everywhere.. they can do this as they usually have full time designers anyway, and they usually do the design while you're there talking to them.. so it's a necessary part of their sales process.

Back