Can anyone recommend a decent dashcam?

johnmurch

Can anyone recommend a decent dashcam? My sister was involved in a scam rear-ending last week and we can see now how useful it would have been to have a dashcam!

I got the nextbase one from Halfords and they fitted it (I think that was around 50e extra but worth it to me) so no wires were visible. I've had it for around 2 years and find it great.

Same here, got a nextbase 412GW in Halfords January sale 2019. No regrets. Fitted it myself, but if you're not happy doing that, their fitting service is worth it.
Some good features are that the camera mount stays on the windscreen and the camera plugs in and out, with a magnet as well so you get a positive feel for the connection.
also get a decent, e.g. 128GB SD card.

There's plenty of good value dash cams on Amazon.
I would highly recommend to not cheap out on the SD card and get a very good High Endurance SD Card to avoid possible corruption of the files

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ORSKEY-Dashboard-Dashcam-Detection-G-sensor/dp/B07PFSXZ2W?ref_=ast_sto_dp (This is what I use.) Records front and back. I fitted it myself and there are no wires visible. There are lots of videos on youtube how to fit them properly.

Check your SD card is recording at regular intervals.

Beware!! There are downsides too. A dashcam can record evidence of your own (alleged) illegality as well as that of other motorists. If, for instance, a Garda suspects you of dangerous driving, he can seize the dashcam as evidence.

An erase button might be handy! Or be prepared to eat the SD card. Yummy

Back