Can an Australian claim back PRSI or Income Tax from previous years

Brendan Burgess

Founder
An Australian friend of mine has worked in Ireland for around 4 years and is going home next year. They have been told that they can claim back their income tax and Prsi from previous years.

See http://www.taxback.com/ie_TaxRefund_PRSI.asp

Does anyone know how this works? Presumably they can fill in the forms themselves without using Taxback?

Brendan

This may be of some use:

It looks like the claim refers to current year proportional excess and any overpayments made in previous years.

Note also that under the dual taxation agreement between Ireland and Australia, those 4 years of PRSI can be used to claim a proportionate Irish pension, so it is not wasted money [broken link removed]

Thanks Yogan

That article and thread relates to anyone working in Ireland, whether they are Irish or not. I suppose everyone should check that they have not overpaid tax.

The pension post is interesting, but the taxback site seems to claim that you can get a refund of PRSI.

Brendan

The pension post is interesting, but the taxback site seems to claim that you can get a refund of PRSI.

Yeah, I would assume that this would be only if you have overpaid, with migratory labour the way it is these days, I can't see any government volunteering to give social insurance payments back when they have been correctly calculated!

Reasons for overpayment: possibly low wage rates exempt from PRSI, but taxed anyway? Or a period of unemployment/holiday in the year, but taxed while working at emergency tax rates?

Back