Can AIB block your account

Patchy

Hi, I am looking for advice.
I am running into problems with AIB. They are looking for photo identification and proof of address. My bank account is in the English version of my name, however, my passport is in the Irish version of my name. AIB will not accept my passport due to this and want a picture of my birth certificate. At the moment a birth certificate cannot be obtained due to office closure and AIB are saying they will block my account on the 11th of June. I am wondering does anybody have advice or has anybody had a similar problem or know if AIB will actually block my account? Advice is much appreciated.

Yes they can. It is a basic requirement under EU directive that all financial institutions must have satisfactory proof as to the identity of their customers and if they are unable to do so the accounts must be frozen to meet MLA requirements.

Is this a new account opening or an existing account? If an existing account, then try to get them to accept the documents you used for the original account opening.

if you are unable to provide the documents on time it is advisable to have little funds on the accounts.

Hi, I am looking for advice.
I am running into problems with AIB. They are looking for photo identification and proof of address. My bank account is in the English version of my name, however, my passport is in the Irish version of my name. AIB will not accept my passport due to this and want a picture of my birth certificate. At the moment a birth certificate cannot be obtained due to office closure and AIB are saying they will block my account on the 11th of June. I am wondering does anybody have advice or has anybody had a similar problem or know if AIB will actually block my account? Advice is much appreciated.

It depends by what they mean by blocking your account. If you have been banking with them to-date and have a balance in your account they shouldn't use this situation as reason to restrict access to you withdrawing from the account. They might however limit funds inwards until the issue is resolved. If you cannot get your birth cert due to an office closure they should not proceed with any restrictions provided that you can provide proof of same.

Unfortunately, most of the banks interpret AML requirements in a peculiar way so even though they shouldn't freeze your account I wouldn't be wholly surprised if they do. Try and get an older/expired ID document with the English version of your name if you have it lying around. They might make an exception in the circumstances.

Yes they can. It is a basic requirement under EU directive that all financial institutions must have satisfactory proof as to the identity of their customers and if they are unable to do so the accounts must be frozen to meet MLA requirements.

This isn't really correct insofar as the OP's situation is concerned. A name translation issue in the circumstances described is nowhere near sufficient reason to impose restrictions under s.33(8) of the Act.

Can you provide them with any other documentation in the meanwhile to prove to them that the English version of your name is in common usage by you? Drivers licence, medical card, public service card, wedding certificate, birth certs of kids, leaving cert, scraping the bottom of the barrel now but proof from the state that you are using your English version of your name. Perhaps that will allow them to hold the account open until you can get proof that they need.

HSE website has some options, even for urgent cases.

This isn't really correct insofar as the OP's situation is concerned. A name translation issue in the circumstances described is nowhere near sufficient reason to impose restrictions under s.33(8) of the Act.
I have been here before on this one. There is no translation, the name on the passport is the legal name of the citizen and simply saying that is the same as the name on the account but in a different language is not evidence of identity, in fact it is a red flag as people who use multiple forms of their name is of concern for MLA.

But a notarized translation (not a notarized copy) might be acceptable. But that could be expensive.

[Mind you I can’t see why they are looking for the copy of the birth certificate either as a way to satisfy their concern]

I have been here before on this one. There is no translation, the name on the passport is the legal name of the citizen and simply saying that is the same as the name on the account but in a different language is not evidence of identity, in fact it is a red flag as people who use multiple forms of their name is of concern for MLA.

OK, but that's not really how the law works. AIB likely opened this account using the OP's anglicised name by reference to an acceptable document using that name. They have now spotted that his passport name does not reconcile with that, either through some sort of internal review or during a refresh of the OP's ID documentation. AIB just have to apply a risk-based approach to the situation under the CJA. They don't need to freeze the account. It's a perfectly reasonable approach to allow the OP to provide his/her birth cert when able to and do sanity checks between all of the ID documentation available to confirm identity once received. It would also be a reasonable approach to reconcile the Irish passport with the previous passport if that has the OP's anglicised name. In any case, the banks are incapable of applying common sense to AML/CTF. It's just easier to block accounts even if unnecessary.

Section 33(2) below is to be interpreted by reference to s.30B which allows for a risk assessment in the application of CDD requirements:
The measures that shall be applied by a designated person under subsection (1) are as follows:
(a) identifying the customer, and verifying the customer’s identity on the basis of documents (whether or not in electronic form), or information, that the designated person has reasonable grounds to believe can be relied upon to confirm the identity of the customer, including—
(i) documents from a government source (whether or not a State government source),
(ia) information from relevant trust services as specified in the Electronic Identification Regulation, or
(ii) any prescribed class of documents, or any prescribed combination of classes of documents;

Actually, @Patchy it might be worth taking another look at your passport if you have changed to using your Irish name. I have a vague recollection that the anglicised version should be noted somewhere on it but I think it depends on how long you have been using the Irish version.

the name on the passport is the legal name of the citizen
No it is not.

There is no concept in Irish law of a unique legal name of any person.

See here:

How you earn your name is by use and repute.

@Patchy - tens of thousands of Irish people have used the Gaelic and English versions of their name at various points. An Irish bank will have come across this many times. Simply send them as much documentation as you can with evidence of you using the English version of your name - utility bills, student ID, driving license, whatever. They will hopefully apply some common sense.

Good day,
Apologies for linking onto your thread. Wasn't sure the correct place too post. (Related question)

I need too verify my information, in order too keep my account from being blocked.(AIB customer)I am out of the country, due too covid restrictions in the country i am in, i am unable too travel back too ireland, before July.

I have checked online, but can't find any information, on how too verify your information online? Is this possible.

Kind regards
Zahid

@Patchy You should still be able to request your birth cert online, I got one for my newborn in January with no hassle. Have you tried ringing/emailing them?

Back