Calculation Formulae for Post 1995 Widows/Widowers pension

stoves1

Registered User
Messages
120
This may have been covered, just looking for the formulae used to calculate the widows/widowers post 1995 pension,
Scenarios: (1) I am aged 64 on a post 1995 public service pension on around 22k pension plus 14k Supplementary what would my wife recieve if i were to die.
(2)I am aged 66 public service pension 22k plus 15k OAP Contributory what would my wife recieve if i were to die.
In both Scenarios my wife is recieving a full OAP contributory pension at the moment having worked all her life.
Many thanks for replies
 
Simple formula for a retiring person in a standard public service scheme is:

(Pensionable Remuneration - 2*OAP) * (Pensionable Service/80).

Lets say PR is €100,000, the OAP is €15,000 and the retiree has 20 years service. This gives a Retirement pension as follows

(100,000 - 30,000) * 20/80 = €17,500.

For the Survivor's Pension it is

(PR - OAP) * (Pensionable Service/80)/2

Based on the above retiree's service and salary this gives a Survivor's Pension of:

(100,000 - 15,000) * 20/80 * 1/2 = €10,625.

I don't know how this is adapted for fast accrual schemes.

The Survivor continues on the Social Welfare Pension (OAP or Widow/Widower's Pension). There is no Supplementary.

(Edited: The survivor's calculation is halved).
 
Last edited:
I have just retired , your wife would get widows pension from DSP and half of your Civil Service pension which by your figures there is 11k .
Fast accrual is irrelevant i this case as if I am reading it correct you are already retired , Fast Accrual just gets you to the full pension faster .
 
I have just retired , your wife would get widows pension from DSP and half of your Civil Service pension which by your figures there is 11k .
Fast accrual is irrelevant i this case as if I am reading it correct you are already retired , Fast Accrual just gets you to the full pension faster .

I can't comment on fast accrual but for post-1995 entrants the PS survivor's pension is not calculated as 0.5 of the retiree's pension. It works out as more than 0.5 - see the formula above or this paragraph from the Superannuation handbook:

"16.5 For Officers appointed on or after 6 April 1995, the "deceased's pension" as defined in paragraph 16.4 is based on a notional figure arrived at by the formula PR - CSP where PR is the deceased officer's pensionable remuneration (as defined in paragraph 5.1 above); and CSP is the annual rate of Contributory State Pension payable - on the last day of the deceased officer's pensionable service - by the Department of Social and Family Affairs to a single person without dependants."

For pre-1995 entrants it is 0.5 of the retiree's PS pension.

Assuming that the OP did not take CNER then I would guesstimate that his survivor would be eligible for a pension of approx €13.5k. That is based on a standard PS scheme.
 
I have just retired , your wife would get widows pension from DSP
As the OP has stated that his wife is\would be in receipt of Contributory State Pension in her own right, she won't get the Widow's pension from DSP - she can't get 2 DSP pensions.
 
Back
Top