Calabria - Italy, villa/Apartment (via HomeInternational)

kaiser1

Hi All

I've searched around the site and web about this company and this area for Property with not much luck.

My friend is going on one of their €199 inspection trips and wants me to go too.
Does anyone have any experience of the area or the company ?
I had never really heard of Calabria until now.

Any advice would be great
thks
K

It's traditionally one of the poorest regions in Italy, between Naples and the South West coast of the country. Are the properties located in Reggio?

I've been there to view some property and it is a really, really nice place, stunning views, great food, good prices. The drawbacks are that Lamezia airport isn't great and there is supposed to be strong Mafia connections in the area.
I'm still unsure as to whether I would buy there, I am tempted though.

I had never really heard of Calabria until now.

Any advice would be great
thks
K

The poet Virgil died in Calabria...

In fact, it's written on his grave. "Mantua me genuit, Calabri rapuere..."

I knew that Leaving Cert Latin would be useful some day!

The world and his missus seem to be building houses in Calabria. There are quite a few for sale through the www.daft.ie website although I've noticed that the exact same properties are available through other agents as well.

As has been mentioned, Calabria is a relatively poor part of Italy and while the properties seem cheap by irish standards, you'd probably do better going through a local agent. If you could get an English speaking agent, so much the better.

Several commentators see Calabria as an up-and-coming area with potential for high capital appreciation. However, its characterisitcs haven't altered over the last few years so I don't know why this shouldnecessarily be the case. It's not as though it recently joined the EU or anything like that.

Another factor to consider is accessibility. As far as I know, there are no direct flights from Ireland to Calabria or anywhere within a reasonable drive. I think the nearest direct airport would be Naples.

There are flights from Stanstead to Lamezia and lots of connecting flights from Rome or the other airports in Italy. That said the airport is a bit too laid back iyswim. I really wouldn't like to be trying to make a connection or get to a meeting flying from Lamezia but I have only been once.

I live in Calabria after moving here from Ireland and have to say i love it. it can in someways be compared to what spain was like 20 or so years ago it has a wealth of natural beauty and the food is fantastic there will never be high rise as they build no higher than four stories the beaches are fantastic and waters are warm,magnificent mountains and national parks i think property here is a good investment and you get a graet lifestyle to match.

Back