Cabra Opinion

Cait

Hi

Just want an opinion on Cabra. We just bought a two Bed Semi detatched there. Its a great house but a bit worried it might have cost too much as its only two bed, it was 317500 and we are first time buyers.

Thanks

Remember a house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it! Seems like a good price to me though, just under the stamp duty figure aswell. Best of luck with it.

My opinion is that it's very settled, close to town and there's good amenities around so you can't go far wrong. House price inflation in that area has outstripped the further out suburbs for the last four or five years and although you can't be guaranteed of that continuing, I think it's a good bet.

Hi Cait,

I live there and no complaints .. it's a pretty settled area very close to town etc. Bus service into town is great.. and you can walk it easily if you choose. There's not many places now you'll get a house with a garden within walking distance of town for a non stratoshpheric price

The only part of it i'd be a bit wary about is right up by Broombridge Station... it's not so good up there there's @ least one road with factories on one side houses on the other which is far from ideal... Also watch out for fairly big development going in by the old cement factory on the rail line behind carnlough rd - development is good for the area but you might end up with more over your back wall than you expected.

As a general rule the closer to Phibsboro the better (& the more expensive).

€317.5 too much ... probably not - was it extended at all ? - what part of Cabra is it in ? As stated below the house is worth what you want to pay for it if it's your PPR .. you're looking at living there for a good few years and having a mortgage for longer ... if you're happy with the house compared to what else you could have got and can afford it then you've not paid too much

Thanks for the Advice

The house is actually quite near to the dreaded broombridge station, its on carnlough but this suits me as I take the train to work. I have looked up plans for the area and was not aware of a new development for the factories there. I do know that Broombridge station will be moved eventually as its nasty and barely used. There is a tiny extention to the house nothing major but the house is in very good order and needs no work. I suppose Im a little bit worried as we would have prefered a house nearer to the Town end of Cabra. However its a corner house and there are very few of them on the market. Its true the house is worth what you pay for it hopefully the proximity to Town with always be the positive point for this area

There are plans to upgrade Broombridge station but I think that it won't be great until they "man" it like other stations.

Carnlough Road is a really long road so it's hard to say anything definite but I know people living on it and love it. The traffic flow has changed now as well so it should be a bit more resident friendly.

I'd say get involved in a few of the local things to really settle in and enjoy it - the sports facility in the bogeys (JPII Park to give it it's official title) is a good place to start. Lots of clubs meet there, there's yoga, 5-a-side, gym, kids clubs etc. Other than that, Cabra has a strong GAA club (Naomh Fionn Barra) and are always looking for members / volunteers. Depends on what you're interested in.

Hi Cait... 317.5 for a corner house in good nick isn't bad .. I guess you've a reasonably large front and/or back garden

I think Broombridge station is to be closed alright it's never used apart from as a place for people to hang out .. and I guess they will ultimately do something with those factories .. most of them are little used now I think.... they're not facing on Carlough anyway.. it's a different road that I can't remember the name of.

The development I was talking about is down the other end of Carnlough Road as it runs down to the New Cabra Rd. (near the Statoil Garage) .. there's an old cement factory alongside the railway line there (you can see it from the Cabra Road).. there's a big development of Apartments to go in there soon.

Proximity to town is always going to be good

Also think of what 317.5 will buy you in many new developments that close to town .... you'd be lucky to get a one bed apartment in many of them... and you'd have a service charge equivalent to at least 1 months mortgage as well

True

I know the spot you are taking about now with the new development. It will be interesting to see how much those apartments will cost. Yeah we have a big front garden and enough on the side to build a large extension if we wanted too.
Personally Im not interesetd in apartments and I dont understand why people would want to live in them. I see some of the good points as some of them are really lovely and they can be handy and maintanance free, but for me at least it would never really feel like home. Your right 317K wouldn't get you a lot that close to town. Looking forward to moving in now and glad we made the saving on the FTB stamp duty payment. Cabra is still an "up and comming" area ,ha thats what Im betting on and as its really so close to center should the entire market crash we would still be in a handy enough location

Thanks

Well now all this talk about Cabra.

First and foremost you bagged yourself a bargain with a price of only €317,500 for a corner house. I live on Carnlough Road just a few doors up from Broombridge road. I am probably one of your closest neighbours.

I live with my parents and recently went looking at buying a house in Cabra. A semi detached end of terrace was going for €270 - 280k. When bidding started this was easily passed and eventually passed the €300k figure.

The closer to town is not necessary the better. I grew up in Cabra and would say that Cabra East (the section nearest Town) is not the best palce to live to be honest.

Cabra West is very settled. The road people are talking about regarding the factories is Bannow Road. It is no longer the anti social capital of Cabra. It is a fine road. And besides what harm is the development. It will not be of massive proportion plus you can't even see it from your house.

In regards to Broombridge Station i have used it and yes it is a disaster. Iarnrod Eireann need to take proper responsibilty for this station. There are no station guards or staff working there, no wonder it is wrecked ... What do people expect!!

I believe the local councillor Nicky Keogh is canvassing on this issue and as broombridge is of historically importance i predict the station will be upgraded eventually and taken care of.

In summary well done on the purchase of your new home. It was a fair price and it will appreciated in value no doubts about that (Cabra is undervalued in todays market)

The area you live in is settled, quite, relatively traffic figure and the majority of the people are friendly and polite. So stop worrying and go enjoy your new home and locality!!

your friendly next door neighbour!!

Hi Cait,

I know this is an old thread but thinking of buying a house in Cabra myself at the moment just wondering how you are getting on living in the area at the moment?

i live in cabra moved here 4 years ago with my mam and would never leave. iv just bought my own house now in cabra east

Hi

I have lived here over 3 years and I would recommend Cabra as a place to live. If you are looking for a good quality house in a location pretty close to town, with easy access to shops parks and good amenities then its perfect. The negative side might be the small size of house (unless you are lucky enough to get a place with a large extension) and garden, but that depends, for example the corner houses tend to have very little back garden space , but quite a big front area, the terrace and end of terrace have long back gardens, so it worth thinking about which you prefer
Regarding anti-social behavior I would advise checking out the area at night especially at the weekend because some roads are better then others, but all in all in general its a residential area... oh and everybody seems to know everyone else so there is a good community which is something pretty rare these days

Back