Cable provider direct debit gone wrong

M

Morph

I signed up several months ago with a cable provider for digital tv and broadband. I was already an existing customer and was informed that due to the package that I choose I would have to change to direct debit. I agreed and gave the girl on the phone the details she asked for, my bank sort code and credit card number. She explained that everything would now be direct debit.

Several months passed and each paper bill I received from the cable provider explained that the bill has been paid and did not mention anything about outstanding debts. I have now realized that no money has been taken out of my account. Possibly they are debiting someone elses account on my behalf :) anyhow I intend to quiry my bill with the cable provider but want to know my rights as I may be stung with a large bill I did not expect or currently do not have the money to pay. Thanks for any advice given.

my bank sort code and credit card number. She explained that everything would now be direct debit.

Was the direct debit setup on your bank account, or have the provider been receiving payments from your credit card (not the same as direct debit)

I don't want to name any particular company, but the TV/Broadband provider that i use are shockingly inefficient. This is not your fault.

Do nothing.

I can't give you any advice as to whether or not you'd be liable, but is there any way you can discreetly check what bank details are on your account. e.g. can you check it on-line?

Also, does the bill definitely state that the previous month's bill was paid? i.e. does it show the amount due for the last bill and then show that this was paid? Or is the bill simply for the service provided in the billing period?

If it's the latter, then your case would be weaker, but again, I want to point out, I'm not an expert.

Back