CA24 - Sect 8 Beneficiary Details

johnc2017

Hi All

Looking for some advice. I'm currently going through the probate process for my recently deceased wife. In regards to the above mentioned section, my wife didn't leave a will and I'm still unsure of beneficiaries apart from myself for numerous reasons. Is it possible to leave this section blank, and then when I do decide to distribute funds it will be up to that person to contact revenue to pay relevant IHT. Does it have any implications for said beneficiaries?

Or after I decide would I contact revenue to update details once known.

Thanks of any clarification

Sorry for your loss.

You should seek the advice of a solicitor to give you some advice.

If your assets were held jointly then potentially you will inherit those automatically.

Your wife's assets will pass based on the succession act 1965 http://www.bmsolicitors.ie/wills-and-probate/dying-intestate-what-happens-if-you-die-without-a-will/

So you do not decide who the beneficiaries are, it's set out in law. If you decide to give some of your inheritance to your wife's family that will be a gift from you to them.

Condolences to you. For all non joint assets, bank accounts etc, you would inherit two thirds of your wife's estate, and your children one third between them. If you didn't have children you inherit everything.

Thank you. Yes i should have clarified that there are no children involved, therefore her full estate will pass to me. Makes sense that it will be a gift so would fall under CAT. I thought that maybe it was requirement I list any inheritance I pass on under the beneficiary section.

Back