C/Union transfer

grass

Hi there, my brother went to credit union last night to transfer some of his savings into his current bank account. .(he's buying a car) He had his IBAN &BIC details with him, but they wouldn't do it, said they have to see his bank account statement
Is this correct ?. .this seems very strange to me, (as he could have been transferring this money to me and I wouldn't be providing a bank statement). . .

Thanks

Sounds like nonsense to me, assuming his shares are cleared and unencumbered.

If they asked to see his ID to confirm he was the member, or asked him to confirm his request in writing, then I'd have absolutely no problem.

If it's his money, and it's not securing a CU loan, then he's free to do whatever he wants with it.

Did he speak with the manager and if so, what did they say was the reason for this ?

Thanks Mr earl, he had several pieces of identification with him, and yes, it's all his savings, and quite a substancial amount too, but only wanted to transfer some of it. . .

No, he didn't speak to manager, as he didn't know what to do as he was quite embarrassed. .

We are going to follow it up tomorrow, as he is not happy. . .

Thabks

I was talking to a credit union local to where I work a while back and they told me that this was their procedure for on-line money transfers.
To set up a beneficiary you had to bring in a bank statement, bill etc to set up for transfer and after that you could do online transfers as often as you like to that account.
I suppose it might be to try and prevent mistakes with BIC's and IBAN's.
Your brother could probably have gotten a cheque off the credit union there and then and lodged it in his bank account but it would have taken a few days to clear.

Thanks richinspirit, he went into another of the branches on Saturday, and it was transferred no problem .

He had the top part of the bank statement with BIC and IBAN , and the exact same forms of identification, and it was done no problem on the sat. .

It all worked out in the end, but I am going to ask why was he refused when he had all the relevent paperwork. . .

I wonder was the staff member just being rigid with the rules they had been taught. Perhaps the need for a bank statement is in case the customer doesn't have the bic/iban. Despite the fact your brother had his details the staff member may have just been like 'computer says no'. I worked in a bank and was asked to cash a cheque one day. I asked the customer for ID and they didn't have any and said they didn't have an account. I sent her on her way as we were told a person needed ID or an account. The next morning we were all called together and asked who had served this girl. I put my hand up and was ate! Turns out she was a daughter of a big bank client. If she had bothered to tell me I'd have cashed the bloody cheque but she ran off to tell daddy about the bad service instead. To this day (many years later) I still feel annoyed about it as I was just doing my job. The branch sent her vouchers for a local shop as an apology.
Anyway so maybe your brothers cashier was a gobshite like me o_O

I wonder was the staff member just being rigid with the rules they had been taught. Perhaps the need for a bank statement is in case the customer doesn't have the bic/iban. Despite the fact your brother had his details the staff member may have just been like 'computer says no'. I worked in a bank and was asked to cash a cheque one day. I asked the customer for ID and they didn't have any and said they didn't have an account. I sent her on her way as we were told a person needed ID or an account. The next morning we were all called together and asked who had served this girl. I put my hand up and was ate! Turns out she was a daughter of a big bank client. If she had bothered to tell me I'd have cashed the bloody cheque but she ran off to tell daddy about the bad service instead. To this day (many years later) I still feel annoyed about it as I was just doing my job. The branch sent her vouchers for a local shop as an apology.
Anyway so maybe your brothers cashier was a gobshite like me o_O

This little anecdote neatly summaries why the Irish banking sector went so awry.

Back