Buying with partner - putting agreement in place

S

Solid 5

Hi all - quick query,

Am buying with the girlfriend and we have decided to put an agreement in place between us just in case things go south down the line or one of us passes away. Were looking to put something in place between us similar to the draft agreement posted on AAM (key posts section), both sign it and pass on to our respective families to hold.

Will this suffice or should we be using a solicitor to draft this? Any idea's out there what a solicitor charges for such agreements?

Cheers.

I would think using a solicitor to at least witness the signing and then to store it would be the best idea. I don't think it should cost too much extra on top of conveyancing.

Hi Solid

The most important thing is that you do have an agreement in place. There are quite a few problems being discussed on Askaboutmoney at the moment, where there was no agreement in place.

I am surprised that solicitors don't seem to insist on it when they do the conveyance. Well done for facing up to it at this stage.

Use the draft agreement as a template. Make sure you and your girlfriend agree the main points. Adjust it as appropriate and then ask your solicitor to witness the final version.

If you come up with any ideas for improving the draft, please let me know.

Brendan

Back