Buying wine from France.

Yep, and travel a little further from the tourist shops by the ports for better value.
We've done several trips to France over the years including our latest two weeks ago. In previous years, travelling inland to the hyper markets would offer huge choice and value but not this year.... We therefore found that the only shops catering for the "booze cruise" customer were the Wine and Beer Warehouses near the ports.
Maybe the time of the year wasn't right but I definitely think that France is missing (or no longer catering for) the UK Tourist. Only saw a handful of yellow plates the week we were there.

Up to a few years ago (4-5) I used to bring in wine via a French site called Vinatis.fr Unfortunately things tightened up on the Revenue side and as a result the rules changed and they’ve stopped shipping to Ireland. Single market my eye !

I’ve occasionally used Berry Brothers & Rudd’s Dublin office to get some cases of what they call “Good Ordinary Claret”. It’s a nice drop of Bordeaux. Not sure what Brexit has done the their trade but I plan to get a bit in before Christmas if I can. They deliver to your door and anything over €250 is shipped free. As an earlier poster said Supermarkets in NI are also worth a pop. Particularly in sparkling wines as they are taxed les severely up there. There can be good specials and multi-buys on offer in wines if you are lucky. Sainsbury’s in Lisburn is our go to one from here in Dublin. Newry is closer but it can get fairly snarled up in traffic.

Sláinte

Pre-Covid we regularly took a van to France and loaded up with about 40 cases of wine + beer etc. Customs say you can only take in 120 bottles per individual. However, we have never been stopped. A friend brought back 80 cases, was stopped, but he explained it was for personal consumption and was allowed through.

Back