Buying USD

Pinoy adventure

Evening all

Where would be best too buy a few hundred USD (about $600/€500 worth )in Dublin ??

I'd be mainly looking for small bills if possible like $5,$10 or even $20s and in good condition.

The post office only sells $20 or $50s with $50 being no use too us.

Thanks

You mean it has to be hard cash/bills?
Would putting some cash on your credit card and using an international currency ATM to withdraw it in US$ work perhaps?
That used to be a relatively cost effective way to get foreign cash but maybe there are better ways these days?
I know that such ATMs exist in the airport but I'm not sure if they're anywhere else in Dublin?

You mean it has to be hard cash/bills?
Would putting some cash on your credit card and using an international currency ATM to withdraw it in US$ work perhaps?
That used to be a relatively cost effective way to get foreign cash but maybe there are better ways these days?
I know that such ATMs exist in the airport but I'm not sure if they're anywhere else in Dublin?

Clubman yes it would need too be cash (it's for tipping while on holidays hence the smaller bills would suit best )

Just get it when you're over there so?
Maybe via a preloaded credit card cash withdrawal at an ATM.
And if the bills are too large (my recollection is that ATMs generally gave a good selection of bills but it's a while since I've visited) you can just break it at a cashier.

I'm assuming you're not travelling to the states, but to another country where USD is a valuable currency?

Getting small bills here can be difficult. There's a lot of cost involved in requesting notes from the states, and transporting them, so banks tend to use larger bills. When people travelled more, you'd get people returning small bills and the bank branches might have some just because they weren't being sent back to the cash centre. Similarly with the airport exchange places.

Try No1 Currency Exchange (part of Fexco) on Westmorland St, or the larger city centre branch of whichever bank you have a current account with. If you order online you can't pick the denomination of bills, so you'll need to check what they have available. Or see if your credit union can help - they use Fexco for foreign exchange and might be able to request smaller bills for you. It'd take a day or 2 for delivery.

You will find it difficult to get $1-$10 bills from banks.
One option if you work with a decent number of colleagues is to do a memo looking for $1 and $5 bills.
Offer 90c exchange or better €1 for $1

Anyone who has been to the states has a few stray dollars in a draw - I have $14

You will find it difficult to get $1-$10 bills from banks.
One option if you work with a decent number of colleagues is to do a memo looking for $1 and $5 bills.
Offer 90c exchange or better €1 for $1

Anyone who has been to the states has a few stray dollars in a draw - I have $14

Permac that was my thinking,I've asked a few family/friends but have only got a few (about $80) but willing too give €1/$1.
The notes kinda need too be in good condition as the banks there can be fussy taking them.

Back