Buying US $ to use later?

Slim

Hi. I will be travelling to the US in 2019. I need to pay a US travel agent in November a sum of about $3,000 plus I will need about another $1-2 k for advance car hire, accommodation and spending money. I can buy a grand in cash locally for the spending money.

As the $ is good value at the moment, how can I best purchase the $ to use
online, to pay travel agent and car hire, later in the year? TIA

Something like a Revolut card should be good in this scenario. It lets you hold balances in different currencies, and then you use it the same as any debit card. You might need another card with you for the car hire security, but you can pay for it with the Revolut card. I've rented a car before without a credit card, but not sure what it's like in the states.

It's impossible to predict forward exchange rates so buying dollars now is a bit of a gamble. But maybe you would have peace of mind by doing so. It's up to you.

A Revolut card is the way to go. You can hold EUR, USD, (and GBP) on it. I've used it to rent in Ireland with Hertz, Enterprise, and Europcar and in the US with Alamo. It's not supposed to work but it has for me every time.

btw, I've always bought the Collision Damage Waiver. If you don't the rental company will try to put a significant (say €1,500-€2,000) hold on the card as a form of guarantee in case of damage. You would need to have this loaded onto your card in advance and be prepared for it to be tied up for as many as 10 days after the rental period ends.

Thank you both for your replies. I realise that rates may vary but I guess I am prepared to take a shot and buy some $ now. I won't give George Soros any sleepless nights! Believe it or not, I have a Revolt card but did not realise I can hold other currencies on it. I will explore further. Thanks again.

Yes, Revolut card is wonderful - and a good way of saving too - can buy dollars if have a little extra cash this month and have In wallet for holidays.

Back