Buying US t-bill / bonds from Ireland?

ThirstyLizard

Hi folks

Is it possible to purchase US government t-bill or bonds from Ireland?

Seems that it is not possible to purchase directly from the US treasury as you need a social security number etc.

I also had a look at the ishares 0-1yr etf but can't seem to find any details as to the coupon payments / distributions.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Anyone have any ideas to point me in the right direction?
Naive question, but why would you want to hold US t-bills or bonds directly?

Unless you're an expert the tax compliance part would be pretty tricky compared to holding an ETF which is heavy in US bonds.

I don't see how it is much more complicated than the ETF tax situation

The coupons are taxed as income, gains/losses come under CGT

I would have thought that Irish Government bonds would be just as good - no exchange rate risk, no tax on capital gains

and no risk
No risk? For a euro based investor, you're taking a huge risk with currency exposure.
There is no 'free lunch'. Any arbitrage opportunities that arise between USD and EUR bond yields get closed by a very liquid market.

I don't see how it is much more complicated than the ETF tax situation

The coupons are taxed as income, gains/losses come under CGT

I would have thought that Irish Government bonds would be just as good - no exchange rate risk, no tax on capital gains
1. Irish government bonds are much more expensive

2. United States treasuries are a lot safer

No risk? For a euro based investor, you're taking a huge risk with currency exposure.
There is no 'free lunch'. Any arbitrage opportunities that arise between USD and EUR bond yields get closed by a very liquid market.
He’s not looking to buy Turkish government bonds, I bought 50 k of GILTS last October when Liz Truss was in power, almost 4.5% yield for the ten year, U.S treasuries are considerably safer again but I’d give the chances of a hard left government in the UK a lot lower than in Ireland over the next decade

OP , it’s an interesting question, I’m with Saxo and I’ve found it puzzling to try and distinguish between the different bond offerings despite them looking identical

He’s not looking to buy Turkish government bonds, I bought 50 k of GILTS last October when Liz Truss was in power, almost 4.5% yield for the ten year, U.S treasuries are considerably safer again but I’d give the chances of a hard left government in the UK a lot lower than in Ireland over the next decade
In a single post you've demonstrated a profound lack of knowledge.
Reread what I said and the context in which I said it.

In a single post you've demonstrated a profound lack of knowledge.
Reread what I said and the context in which I said it.
Sorry, I know exactly where you are coming from, you see FOREX effect as the overarching risk, I’m saying that just because Irish government bonds are domiciled in euro doesn’t make them safer than U.S treasuries

Orthodoxy in investing rigidly ignores many factors

Last edited:
Holding Irish bonds removes the currency risk
Jan 1999 € 1 = $ 1.15
Nov 2000 € 1 = $ 0.88
Jun 2008 € 1 = $ 1.60
Dec 2016 € 1 = $ 1.05
Feb 2018 € 1 = $ 1.24
Apr 2018 € 1 = $ 1.08
Sep 2022 € 1 = $ 0.96
Today € 1 = $ 1.06
Who knows tomorrow, 5 years, 10 years