Buying US shares and registering in own name - ideas?

trekkypj

Hi all,

I am thinking of investing a few thousand euro per year into US stocks as part of my investment portfolio, if I can find suitable stocks to own.

The annual investment would most likely be invested in one or two companies at most, to keep trading costs down. I have looked at online options such as TD Waterhouse; however, as I am investing long-term, I want the shares registered in my name and not placed in a nominee account.

I plan on holding the shares for a considerable period - at least ten years, so I don't mind paying for the shares to be registered in my name. That said, the sums involved are modest so I don't want to pay over-the-odds. With taxes and other fees involved, the less spent the better.

I guess my questions can be summed up as follows:
(1) What stockbrokers would provide this service in Ireland (or online), and what would the likely cost be? Must I open a nominee account and then pay to have the shares re-materialised or can I buy them on an execution-only basis?

(2) Is there a CREST or like option for holding US shares electronically which is open to Irish investors? Or will I have to pay for the paper certificates?

Back