Buying/Trading Used Car

Tubbs

I am in unfamiliar territory in that I want to buy a 02/03 used car (not sure what or where from yet).

I own a 96 Nissan Micra (in fairly good condition..for its age) which I ideally want to trade in against a 02/03 car. Otherwise I will sell and buy separately.

Do most used car garages do trade ins?

Also if I see car in my local used car place for say 15,000 would you generally pay 15,000 or is it normal to negotiate the price if no trade in ?

Does it depend on how you are paying and whether trading in ?

Any answer (or links) to all my questions before I look like a t!t in my local garage when I start bartering with them ?

Thanks.

1/. All garages do trade ins.

2/. Negotiate like billyoh! If you see a car you like, and which is in perfect nick, bring cash and wave it about a bit. Offer €13,500 if buying straight.

3/. Even if you are trading in, ask about a striaght deal first. From there introduce the possibilty of a trade in. It's only then that you'll get an indication of the true value of your older car.

The market is awash with cars. Go and bargain hard.

Agree with rs2k, would be looking for 10% off for a cash deal, more at this time of year (v.slow for dealers, and in a short few months, cars will age another year).

Nissan micra should be easy to trade in, easy to sell on.
To get an idea of what your car or other cars are worth, have a look at what others are asking:
www.carzone.ie
www.cbg.ie
(factor in the same discount).
Also check what the revenue thinks the "book" value is
https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator
and add 10-20% margin for the dealer.

Good luck!

Rang a dealer after seeing a car and a price which I liked. After confirming that the car was in stock I asked what the best price was for cash. The cash price she quoted was €1000 greater than the listed price!!!!!!

She "justified" this "logic" on the basis that the list price was for their finance package!

DUH!!!

Last weeks Sunday Times had an interesting article on this topic in the motoring section. The commision on finance packages is a big part of the profit on a new car deal for garages, a finance house may offer huge incentives to shift cars with their product, allowing dealers to take a lower price in return for the commision on any finance package they set up.

One interesting point on the above. It can be the case that you get a significant discount if you take the finance package and then just pay off the finance immediately. Needless to say you must check the terms and conditions of the package to ensure there is no penalty for early repayment.

A colleague did exactly the above last year and then received an irate call from the dealer because they had lost their kickback! :D

I like the sound of that, but I'd imagine the big finance houses would almost certainly have a penalty clause built in!

An early repayment of a car (instalment credit) loan is usually made against a "settlement" figure, which like a mortgage in the early years will not reflect payments made against the debt.

Back