Buying/taking out mortgage as single applicant while married

justabout

I can’t find much info on this, looks like it can’t be done.

scenario:
Married, 2 children. There are savings and (work) stock accounts that are not jointly owned and I would prefer to buy to get out of a domestic violence situation than rent after obtaining a barring order. ( not safe for me to stay in the house)

Questions:
1.Can I take out a small mortgage with my married status without husband involved? I assume not.
2. Can I even use my individual savings to buy - I assume that my husband can make a claim on it? I may be able to buy outright in a less desired area.

Looks like renting or a refugee is the only option, can you correct me if I’m wrong? Of course I will obtain legal advice but I counted myself lucky that I have some financial means to get out of this but the more I think it through I’ll continue to be stuck despite having a good income and savings unless I get rid of the family pets which would be too heart breaking for the kids.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware once married you need to apply as a couple because it can cause trouble down the road and can get messy and banks are reluctant to do it.

I really hope you get sorted, maybe try a broker as they can be helpful in situations like this!

Very unlikely to get a mortgage, you could get apply and get approval but a condition of drawdown would be a separation agreement at least. Bank will want any future claim by spouse sorted out before drawdown as will you too really. Also applies if you buy outright for cash, you want to be sure that property is protected.

Legal advice would be the start I'd say.

Back