Buying spectacles online?

That explains why, when I go to Specsavers, every two years for a free eye test, and just ask for my free social welfare pair of glasses, I am treated so badly by the sales staff. No profit or commission from me.

The last time I went. The sales person all smiles.....until I said that I wanted my free pair and nothing else. Her whole manner changed and I was basically shown two pairs and told take your pick....didn't even measure to see if they would fit.

Dreadful service altogether but I expect it every time. Maybe the social welfare money that they get is not considered real money.
I have used 2 different Specsavers (I think they are franchised), never paid for anything and they were both very good. Maybe try a different franchise?

I just reordered my varifocals last Friday, in Specsavers.
Just for comparison I got new varifocals in June this year, I didn't go to Specsavers but rather to my local optician who happens to stock Lindberg.
And also does the Zeiss and Essilor lenses, I prefer Essilor but went for Zeiss this time
So just for the lenses as I have a few pairs of Lindberg frames that will probably see me out
Full Eye test €100, fully refunded by Laya
Lenses including Transitions Gen 8 €650 of which Laya refunded me another €100
So all in €550 for a set of Lenses
I would presume if I was to add in Lindberg frames I be adding at least the same again if not more :oops:

Last edited:
Just for comparison I got new varifocals in June this year, I didn't go to Specsavers but rather to my local optician who happens to stock Lindberg.
And also does the Zeiss and Essilor lenses, I prefer Essilor but went for Zeiss this time
So just for the lenses as I have a few pairs of Lindberg frames that will probably see me out
Full Eye test €100, fully refunded by Laya
Lenses including Transitions Gen 8 €650 of which Laya refunded me another €100
So all in €550 for a set of Lenses
I would presume if I was to add in Lindberg frames I be adding at least the same again if not more :oops:
Interesting. May I ask which Laya plan you are on?

Interesting. May I ask which Laya plan you are on?
We're on the "Control 300 Create", which allows you to claim €100 per year on optician expenses less the excess of €1 (which I forgot to mention)
My policy renews the beginning of June so end of May got an eye test and submitted a claim
First week in June went to the Optician and ordered the lenses and submitted another claim
Then in May 2024 will do another eye test and if needed will order lenses in June

I got a text yesterday from Specsavers and today an email reminding me that my appointment is now due. It isn't.

Almost harassment at this stage.

We're on the "Control 300 Create", which allows you to claim €100 per year on optician expenses less the excess of €1 (which I forgot to mention)
My policy renews the beginning of June so end of May got an eye test and submitted a claim
First week in June went to the Optician and ordered the lenses and submitted another claim
Then in May 2024 will do another eye test and if needed will order lenses in June
Similar...… I have a Laya "SimplyHealth Choice" policy which gives 50% back. I purchased 3 single vison lenses (im very hard on them) from SmartBuyGlasses for €100 and got 50% of that back from Laya. It was my first time buying online, the quality is excellent and I easily saved myself €200-300.

We're on the same. I'll dig out the receipt tomorrow. Many thanks, Cervelo, and happy cycling!

We're on the same. I'll dig out the receipt tomorrow. Many thanks, Cervelo, and happy cycling!
You're welcome, glad to be of assistance :)

Just thinking this forward, I'm not eligible for the free eye test but for someone who is I don't see why their prescription glasses can't be purchased in two separate transactions like I do to avail of a bigger refund, ask your optician I'm sure they would be only to happy to oblige

With regards to buying glasses online I've been doing this for years for my cycling sunglasses and the optical inserts that I use
The sunglasses I use (Rudy Project) can be up to 50% cheaper than a retail shop here and that's if you can find a stockist here
but the lenses are as cheap as chips, the last time I enquired my optician was looking for €250 just for a pair of single focus lenses
while Vision3K in the UK were £80 for lenses and the optical clip to attach them to the sunglasses and I find the perfect for what I use them for

But when it comes to buying my everyday glasses they have always been bought from an Irish optician mainly because of the brand of frames and lenses I use couldn't(I think) be bought online and now that I've reached the milestone of needing varifocals I just wouldn't risk using an online retailer even with the high prices charged here and I freely admit that when I heard the cost first, it took me a few days to get my head around it
Which back in 2018 was €750 for the first pair, €250 for a second and third pair and that's just for the lenses no frames!!!

Last edited:
I don't know, I probably wouldn't risk it. You have to measure them, how they fit, whether they will not fall or vice versa. As for me such things are better to buy in person. Dishes, sofas, food, even sometimes clothes can be ordered online, but not glasses. But of course everyone decides for himself. It also depends on the price, if inexpensive, you can take a risk.

I'm considering going to Specsavers, getting an eye test with a complete prescription for my varifocals and then going online to to somewhere like Torga and ordering them. Massive saving to be made. I'm wondering if anyone has does this and what their experience was.

What about reading glasses ?
You can buy ready readers for a few euro from most pharmacies, bookshops etc. Take along something to read and you can easily check what strength you need. You could of course buy them online too once you work out the prescription. You really don't need an optician for that.

Before I made the transition to varifocals I used the old fashioned way of having two sets of glasses
But one day in Saville I was walking by an office stationary shop and I noticed these little gems in the window

What I liked about them is how small and neat they are, they can attach to a key ring or on the back of a phone
And you can also use them while wearing your normal glasses for a bit of extra magnification
Might be a bit more expensive then others but isn't that always the way with nice things!!!

edit
Just noticed they even have a quick online eye test as well to work out what magnification you might need

Last edited:
I'm considering going to Specsavers, getting an eye test with a complete prescription for my varifocals and then going online to to somewhere like Torga and ordering them. Massive saving to be made. I'm wondering if anyone has does this and what their experience was.
As a basic, for any online order, you'll need your pupillary distance (PD) if you don't know it already. It is not included on your prescription. You can measure it yourself. I've gotten it from Specsavers as I got my regular pair there and asked for it as I was getting sports glasses elsewhere.

To be honest I would be nervous about varifocals online as they require a lot of personal measurements which may not be on the prescription.
But good that Torga are irish based for returns.

I've ordered distance sports glasses online in the past and been very happy with them but that was a UK supplier pre Brexit (optilabs).

But I'll keep an eye on Torga, they have a good selection of sports glasses.

ps if you have private health insurance check the small print of your cover, some policies included refunds of optical expenses, I've gotten €100 back in the past from LAYA

Last edited:
ps if you have private health insurance check the small print of your cover, some policies included refunds of optical expenses, I've gotten €100 back in the past from LAYA
Indeed. We got €240 back from Laya (Simply Connect) on a pair of varifocals last month. I submitted the receipt thinking we'd get something back but they actually paid 50% of the whole bill. With the sight test already free through PRSI that worked out very affordable.

A while back, I got a letter from Social Protection rejecting my application for a free eye test. It struck me as odd given that I knew I didn’t qualify for a free eye test and hadn’t actually applied.

It turned out Specsavers had lobbed in claims for all their customers, the outcome of which they doubtless used to their own commercial advantage. I complained to them and was told that I had given permission which I hadn’t. I asked them to prove it and they couldn’t.

I also had a very poor experience with them when replacing my last pair of varifocals. It took forever to eventually get them to concede that the prescription was wrong. Part of the problem is that you seem to deal with a different person every time you go back and have to explain things from scratch each time. It’s very frustrating.

I wouldn’t go near them again.

Like others though, I think it would be difficult to purchase varifocals online, notwithstanding the amounts to be saved.

Back