Buying some of my landlords land...

Icarus

I'm living in a rented house in Dun Laoghaire that was recently sold. By suburban standards the house has a very large back garden and it has recent pp for one new house. Myself and the new landlord have made a deal where I can stay on cheap until and during the building of the second house. My plan was to stay until I save enough deposit to buy my own place.
And then I had an idea.
I could ask my landlord to sell me some of the property and build on it myself. The garden certainly is big enough. He has actually mentioned re-applying for pp for more than one house. It is in my absolute perfect location, near family, son's school etc. I would really, really like to be able to pull this off.
I'm sure many on this forum have developed property in a similar way to my landlord. So how should I approach him? If you were in his shoes what would it make it as attractive as possible?
I was thinking that if I bought part of the site it would release some of the equity in the land which he could use for the rest of the development without as much debt.
Any ideas or thoughts?

What's in it for him? Why should he sell the site to you, instead of on the open market?

Rainyday: I always find that trying to see any deal from the other parties point of view can help in negotiations. I have never been a developer, I don't know what to look for or to try and pre-empt. Just gathering info here.

CCOVICH: Thanks. Good point that I hadn't thought of.

Who will pay the fees for the planning application, bearing in mind that it is likely that the pp already there for one house may have to be resubmitted to relocate this house and add another?

You also need to factor in the loss of amenity for example less space, less peace, less privacy the new configuration of developing this garden will bring.

Back