Buying Silver or Gold in Ireland

discovery101

Hi Guys can you recommend any good reliable places in Ireland to buy any of the above? I am a newbie in the field.

thank you in advance.

I used to buy from Goldcore in Ireland, but I have been told the cheapest around for Europe is
https://www.europeanmint.com/
I haven’t tried them yet. Has anyone else?

Quite a lot of the early pre 1943 Irish coins had a high concentration of silver. Shilling, Florin, Half Crown, Pearse Coin. As well as being collectable for their dates you can have fun seeking out the rarities. Many are available on www.adverts.ie etc

If you are buying physical silver you could pay vat on it if bought in Ireland or UK. Be sure to check this out first before you buy. Gold is not subject to VAT.

Geiger edelmetalle in Germany do not charge VAT as well as [broken link removed] Both are legit/good companies that deliver to your door.

Stay away from gold/silver for numismatic reasons. you will pay an additional premium above the price for gold/silver for these.

Strongly thinking of investing 20% of my funds in physical silver. The time will come again and I won't be waiting a decade to see the price of silver double in price from its current € 14.50 Thanks Laughahalla, I will look into both those companies and purchasing without Vat would be the aim.

Yes Marc it is. Since when is investing in gold or silvet a fad 'thing'.
So you dont recommend your clients invest a portion of their wealth in precious metals ? Now that surprises me.

You should note, It can be a pain/risky to store your own physical gold/silver. To sell it can be a pain too. Obviously , you will be able to sell it at market price but it might take some time and effort to find a buyer.

I use europeanmint.com for silver
https://www.europeanmint.com/2019-1oz-canadian-silver-maple-leaf-coin/They are the cheapest around for commission.
And fast delivery. I used to use Goldcore who were reputable too, but Europeanmint are much cheaper.

Yes Marc it is. Since when is investing in gold or silvet a fad 'thing'.
So you dont recommend your clients invest a portion of their wealth in precious metals ? Now that surprises me.

You might want to have exposure to metals in your portfolio, but actual bullion is surprising. There are risks and practical difficulties with it and admin costs. I'm guessing the buy / sell spread on physicals is a lot wider than an equivalent ETF

but is there not the usual horrible tax implications from holding etfs in ireland , 8 year deemed disposal, 41% tax etc, (unless you can buy the US domiciled ones)

Oh yeah, forgot about not being able to buy U. S domiciled etfs anymore

So have I understood correct in my pursuit of purchasing physical silver.
Buy silver coins outside of Ireland vat free as recommended by Laughahalla. I say silver coins rather than bars as easier to offload I would imagine and if a crisis hits very easy to offload. I gather coins ate more costly than bars but for the convenience of moving them on I think coins are the best option. I would plan on storing them in a very safe place where nobody but my immediate family would know of their existence. I dont like ETF's. Any advice as to type of silver coins that are best to purchase. I wouls be looking at purchasing €10k to €15k worth.

Stay away from gold/silver for numismatic reasons. you will pay an additional premium above the price for gold/silver for these.
When you say stay away from gold/silver for numismatic reasons what exactly do you mean. Do you mean do not buy coins ?

When you say stay away from gold/silver for numismatic reasons what exactly do you mean. Do you mean do not buy coins ?
Coins are fine and portable enough.
Some people buy special edition gold and silver coins because they like collecting the different editions of the coins or special runs that the mint brought out . Those people pay a premium over the gold/silver market value for this.They're like stamp collectors.

When buying gold/silver coins for potential SHTF situation then stick with the regular American Eagle, Canadian maple leaf, Austrian Philharmonic e.t.c. No need to buy the special version of them. If you do you'll pay more than the value of the the gold/silver.

There is worse ways to spend your money, you'll always get spot price for it so it's like spending but you're actually buying something that "should" keep it's value and possibly increase.

Last edited:
Thanks Laughahalla. Do you recommend one coin over the other like if I was buying a once off €15k worth or should I buy a mix of the coins you state ?
If the coins remain in the plastic bags they come in stored underground in a dry place should that ensure they will not tarnish ? If coins tarnish I assune they can down the road be individually cleaned prior to selling.
I am buying these for my kids futures and or for the next economic collapse like there was a few years ago when silver reached US$32.

A monster box of silver maple leafs is about €7,500 or at least it was a few weeks ago when I last bought one. Probably gone up a bit since then. You could buy two of those

Landlord - from europeanmint.com vat free ?
Also are the coins in the monster box wrapped enough to store underground ?

Back