Buying Secondhand iPhone8

allencat3

I’m advised to upgrade my iPhone5C bought some years ago, as its storage capacity is far too small for taking/storing several photos. I’m aware of downloading photos to iCloud, GooglePhotos etc. It was suggested that I purchase a second hand iPhone8. What reliable stores in Dublin would sell 2nd-hand mobiles? Thanks in advance.
Allencat3

There is no point in buying a newer phone, iPhone or otherwise, unless the capacity is bigger. iPhones come in various capacities, and in general, the higher the internal phone capacity, the higher the price, hence the second part of any iPhones description, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, etc. Only you can decide what capacity is appropriate for your needs.

Do you need to carry all your photos around with you all the time? Have you looked at devices like these for example, they let you offload photos, videos to a portable device local to you, freeing up phone space :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=iphone+usb+flash+drive&crid=17DAU0EUYFVMR&sprefix=iphone+usb+cable%2Caps%2C132&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_10

If you're backing up your photos (and you should be) then the capacity of the phone to store photos becomes less of an issue. I'm on android and I use Google Photos. If I ever lose my phone or if the SD card fails (as once happened to me) I still have all of my photos.

I cannot recommend any particular shops, but I know there's a fairly good trade in secondhand phones on adverts.ie, I've bought and sold a few myself there. You need to be very careful buying something like this, given that screens may have been replaced with inferior quality aftermarket parts - the same risk exists in secondhand shops as well. Look out for sellers with lots of good reviews.

As SBarrett says though, if you don't know what to look out for you may be better off buying a new one, either financing it or getting it as part of a mobile phone contract (which is ultimately just financing as well).

Hi allencat3, I have bought both of my iphones on ebay. I avoid any of the refurb sellers that have loads of phones to sell. Look for a private seller (not a shop). The lady I bought my iphone 8 from just 2 weeks ago only had it since November and was changing because she got given a newer model. And it's still covered by Apple warranty. At least on ebay you can check the sellers record ...

Alternatively have a look on pricespy.ie and search for iphone 8

You can get a used one with a warranty for 420 and a brand new one for 630

Good luck !

Back