Buying Scottish reg car from NI

pinkie123

I have been looking for a particular car in a certain spec which is rare enough here but there are a few to choose from in NI - from a main dealer of this make of car. Also I will save about 2K buying the car in NI.
Car I have been looking at is what I want spec wise, good mileage etc. I did a google search on the reg however and it turns out it is a Scottish reg not an NI one.
I asked dealer and they said it was bought from British Car Auctions in Edinburgh and its something that they do regularly.
Is there any disadvantage this car being from Scotland - I have heard about use of salt on the roads over there. Car is 3 years old.
BTW there is a practically identical car down here but it would be €1.5-2K dearer (unless I can do a deal).
Thanks!

After 3 years on Scottish roads the tyres will need to be looked at, as salt degrades them. You'll need someone to inspect for corrosion too.

Pinkie. I don't think I would go across the border for 1.5-2k. NI dealers buy cars from 'mainland UK' all the time but add premium to the price. It would be cheaper for you to go across the water yourself. Also, car will show miles on odometer/speedo and on resale here, the fact that it is an import will be noted and may knock a little value off it.

Good points all dealer here has come back to me with the 8% discount so very little in it now. Just shows be prepared to walk away!

Back