buying near UL

olivia

i will be taking up a post in UL in the Autumn and intend to purchase an apartment near the College which I will use 2 or 3 nights per week (I am not in a position to relocate). I intend to look for an apartment very near the College which would keep its value and is easy to maintain. Has anyone any suggestions. I am living in Galway.

Rent until the market stabilises.

If this doesn't suit you, do you want to be within walking distance of UL or just a short car drive?

Be careful about buying as some areas there are completely given over to students , in fact most original residents have moved on. Accommodation in Limk is reasonable , far better to rent for six months and then make a decision.

Area to avoid for sure is Elm Park - aka "Cardboard City". Look at places the Castletroy Park hotel side of the campus; and as per Dacman's post, Annacotty is nice - but might be a good stretch of the legs!
Also, in the city itself too, there's a lot of options, it's not too far..
Good luck - have a nice pint in the Wicked Chicken some night too.

I live in the area so heres my thoughts on a good investment.

1. Do not buy too near UL as this is Student world. Not only that but reasonably difficult to sell there after.

2. Areas to look at - Annacotty, Monaleen (very upmarket and a much sought after area in Limerick) and Newtown.

3. Two developments worth a look at are Castlemara and Carrigeen. Within 20 mins walk of UL, near a nice bar, shops, new park and restaurants.

4. Salmon Weir in Annacotty is also worth a look.

Hope this helps,
MikeM.

I'd say if your looking for ana partment your better off looking at duplexs in a residential area as they re-sell better, areas like newtown park. Why not look at a townhouse or semi, there are loads of estates that are well thought of in close proximity, but like others have said don't move too close to UL i.e elm park, oak lawns, milford etc.

Rhebogue is very close to UL and town- This gets my vote. Monaleen is also nice

Back