Buying Machinery - Bank loan vs. leasing

maryt

We have applied to AIB for a loan of €100,000 to buy badly needed machinery for our business. They rang us back and would like to meet with us next week to discuss our options, ie. leasing agreement vs. straight loan from them. We are renting the property where the business is situated. The bank says that they are happy with our bank account. We were hoping to take out the loan for five years but most probably would repay it in two - all going well (we were going to put my wages towards the repayments as I have a secure job and live off my husbands earnings). We have some land that we could put up as security if needed and have no other loans of any kind. Can anyone tell me what are the benefits of a leasing agreement over getting a straight loan for machinery would be? We are VAT registered.

The vat portion of the repayment may be reclaimable but dont forget that you are only essentially borrowing the use of the asset under a lease as its not yours until the full term has ended and any final or balloon payment has been made whereas under a loan its yours once you have paid for it except that its disposal or sale would probably be restricted by a charge over the particular asset as security for the loan. due to the size of the investment - 100k, I would consult a good accountant for advice

hope this helps,

Westgolf

Back