Buying items for house

JJJ

Hi there,

I'm hoping next week to start picking up bits and pieces in the remainder of the sales for my house (ready in March/April this year) and just wondering if anyone knows if you can pay and order for eg electrical goods etc. but that they keep them for you (don't really have anywhere to store them)?

Thanks

Yes we bought kitchen appliances months ago but have nowhere to put them yet due to building delays

Keep in mind that the guarantee time starts at the day of purchase, so it might not be such a good sales bargain as it seems when just looking at the price of purchase.

And to follow on from heinbloed - you can survive on surprisingly little for the first few days/weeks in a new house unless you're the type that needs it fitted out 100% from day one. Myself and the wife (then partner) had literally nothing but a mattress, some net curtains, a microwave and a kettle for the first few weeks. Tell that to the young people these days and blah, blah, blah.... ;)

thanks for replies....I'm going to have a lodger from the beginning so will need all the appliances etc. as soon as I move in...if it was just me I was definitely do it all gradually over several months...

I just want to know if you do purchase any goods will they keep them for you for a few months in their shop?

thanks

Hi JJJ, have just bought some appliances from Soundstore in Cork (two shops - Wilton and Blackpool). They have a wide range of appliances/brands and they are currently on sale. Soundstore will store the items indefinitely. The guarantee does not start until you collect the items.

Also note that a lot of the sales in electrical outlets aren't that spectacular. Other people on AAM have noted that sale prices are very similar to the pre-sale prices. You may not save a significant amount of money. If you waited until March/April, would you have a little more to spend on better appliances?
Leo

Last year we bought all our appliances in DID at the end of the sales - beginning of Feb as our place was due in March so we provisionally had the delivery scheduled for May allowing for delays but we didn't get the keys until the end of Sept and got them all delivered in Oct - there was no charge for DID to hold them and most electrical shops would be the same I guess

I concur with PaddyC on DID, we've bought goods on sale there the first week in Jan, they have told us there's no problem storing the goods until March!!

Slightly off topic but I have heard of people recently buying all appliances for a new house in one go from one retailer, and getting a significant discount i.e. the equivalent of one free. Any experience of this anyone?

for the likes of your kitchen table and chairs the likes of bargaintown have a good sale on at the moment i got mine table and 6 chairs (table decent size) for only 600 euro it is maple and black granite in the middle. You could get carpets, floors etc now aswell as doors and floors have sale plus you only re-confirm when you need it a week or so before thats what we did

Back