Buying in the Longford area?

C

c-mac

Hi all

I was considering getting into the property market with my girlfriend by buying an investment property in the Longford area i.e. Edgeworthstown, Drumlish, Keenagh etc in the region of 160k - 200k.

I'm from south Leitrim and she is from Mullingar and works in Longford so the area would be most suitable for access from a landlord point of view. There is also the tax breaks which is keeping us in this area instead of down towards Mullingar.

I will be a first time buyer and she already has a house of her own.

Do other people have any experiences in the area or any advise in relation to other areas to buy in , also avoiding stamp duty payments ?

Any advise is appreciated, good or indifferent!!

There are lots of investment properties in longford, so what is the rental demand like, also those with tax breaks normally have this factored into the price. also take into account the fire at c&d which might have an affect on the rental demand for edgeworthstown.

Please note the . vBulletin converts such posts to mixed case with the first letter of each word capitalised (as above) but still leaves them a bit hard to read.

Cheers coughy,

I did think about the fire at c&d in edgesworthtown but don't think i will have that big an effect on the market in the area (i hope). I was leaning towards the keenagh area due to keen-ness of prices and what you get.

Also looking down towards the shannon area of dromod and rooskey. seemingly houses are brisk enough in been snapped up around the area.

Hi C-mac

When we moved to the area we looked at houses in Edgeworthstown first. We were on a second viewing of a particular housing estate just outside the down and the wind happened to be blowing in a certain direction and by god was the smell bad ... C&D and the grain factory were to blame. Apparently in the summer it's much worse. Something to consider. That put us off buying there.

Keenagh is a lovely village with good access to Athlone and Longford. The facilities however do seem to be taking a long time to catch up. The school that most people would send their children to is Stonepark NS which has a waiting list a mile long ... which might not be an issue for you but worth considering.

Have you considered Clondra or Tarmonbarry. (Houses may be slightly more expensive but rental potential would be very good). Good road N5 all the way to Longford. N5 longford bypass planned shortly to begin construction. Good national schools and bus service to Longford. Another area worth a look would be Kilashee where a lot of construction is taking place and houses are keenly priced. All houses in the above mentioned would be eligible for Section 23 type tax relief.

Roosky has undergone a huge amount of development recently but has also attracted a very rough element. There are a lot of youngsters from the village and Longford who 'knacker drink' on the banks of the river. Dromod is a pretty village but full of holiday homes. The N4 bypass might do it some good but to me the golf course/marina will only further re-inforce the holiday home/dormant village syndrome.

Good luck what ever you decide.

Henny Penny said:
Hi C-mac

Roosky has undergone a huge amount of development recently but has also attracted a very rough element. There are a lot of youngsters from the village and Longford who 'knacker drink' on the banks of the river. Dromod is a pretty village but full of holiday homes. The N4 bypass might do it some good but to me the golf course/marina will only further re-inforce the holiday home/dormant village syndrome.

Good luck what ever you decide.

@Henry Penny:

I'm originaly from a few miles outside dromod and would agree totally with the holiday home syndrome. Pity as its a gorgeous village with a few really nice places to eat and drink.
Rooskey does have a certain element of toughness about the place but i again a nice place in general.

Did consider tarmonbarry alright but wasnt sure about the rental market in the area, 1 or 2 big developments in the area.

If you dont mind telling where did you settle in the end??

Back