Buying in Cabra - but a new housing scheme looms...

Sal

Hi there,
I'm close to buying a second hand place off Quarry road in Cabra, which I consider a sound location. After doing some research, I saw that Bord Pleanala has upheld a 'decision to grant' for a new apartment scheme which appears to begin at the end of what would be our rear garden. Up to five storeys high. 64 apartments. Report said they addressed appellants' worries about overlooking and shadowing...Not sure when work will commence.
I know new homes schemes can lift an area up, but would your opinions be weighted towards avoiding, or going for, this property under these circumstances? We're first-time buyers and don't want to make a huge mistake buying something we can't sell later for whatever reason.

Any feedback much appreciated!

Cheers, Sal

You can search for planning requests on [broken link removed]. [broken link removed] looks like the development in question? At least you know about this in advance, do as much research as possible.

Tiger
Thank you very much for that link - that is indeed the one in question. We had the docs but you just saved us a trip to Pleanala offices to see the map! We're going through it with a fine toothcomb now and really hoping it won't affect us too badly.

Cheers
Sal

At the very least you can use it a weapon to beat a price reduction out of the seller. Gazundering is the new black!!

The development you are referring to is on the old railway siding which runs alongside Carnlough Road. The developer originally submitted plans earlier this year which were rejected due to the proposed height of the main apartment block - 8 stories. There is strong local opposition to the development and a local residents committee has been formed to lodge objections. I think the website is cabrahills, you may find it on google if not. In any case, the development does not seem to have influenced the sale of properties in the immediate area and Cabra is a great location no matter what - we are buying there ourselves right now. Send me a pm if you have any more q's and I'll try to help.

Great, thanks all of you. Ended up buying in Cabra, but not the house near the development... but for other reasons - vendor didn't really want to sell it, it seems! Signing this week on an even better place and really looking forward to the move now. Cabra is the new black!

Hi rs, bought on the fassaugh road - great spot, settling in well, nice neighbours and spar is handy! so far, all good, can see ourselves here for quite a while.

Hey there,
Just reading your info on Cabra, interesting. I am looking there as well, had a place but it just fell through.
Are you still liking it? I have stayed away from Faussaugh Road to date, but would you recommend it?

sorry for being so late in posting... if you're still out there, we've been in Cabra eight months now and so far, not a bad word to say about the place - we've literally not had a bad experience in it. i am at the phibsboro end of cabra, just at the top of connaught street, so i don't know if that makes any difference. certainly, traffic isn't an issue, i live on a junction and there's a normal, steady stream of it at the lights, but no tailbacks or major queueing or anything like that, in my experience. i'm not too familiar with the other end of fassaugh road, although as an area, it seems just like ours, quiet enough, lots of old people and yeah, there's the odd cluster of kids hanging around but no major mischief from them, they're just being normal teenagers.
what i do know is that local people, my neighbours, differentiate themselves from the 'cabra west' part of cabra, which is the end furtner away from town, across the railway bridge and beyond that, some of which borders Finglas. Our local newsletter says 'cabra east' on it...apparently it matters. But houses for sale anywhere in cabra won't say which end, so check out the area for yourself i suppose. Some people consider it the 'rough' end of Cabra, possibly the one most people think of when they hear the place name. Houses down there tend to be a little cheaper, but only a little, and there are lots of them for sale.
i'd recommend it. it's an area with a slowly changing dynamic. there are still lots of older people, and their grown up sons and daughters, who have kids who have their own babies, and they like to stay in the area. Then there are blow-ins like us, young people walking around with their i-pods and lots of foreign young people too.
We find it friendly and safe...touchwood...for example, i'm living 12 years in Dublin and this is one of only a handful of areas I feel safe in walking down the road to the shops in the dark - it is possible, and no, not crazy!
our next door neighbours are mildy chatty and say hello and have the banter, but they leave us to it and vice versa. A lovely old lady four doors down on our terrace puts our wheelie bin back in our driveway after we've gone to work on bin-day mornings. she insists! people all say hello as you pass. You could do a hell of a lot worse than cabra. And when people ask, i say I'm from Cabra, not phibsboro, i'm quite proud to come from there. respek!
as for prices, they are much the same as when we bought a year ago - at least asking prices are. what stuff is really going for, I imagine is slightly lower, closer to the bank valuations than the askings...? but rental wise, D7 is booming and houses there are super-rentable, being mainly two- and three-bed houses with gardens only 15 mins walk to o'connell street (for us at least) so we're not worried about negative equity. IMHO the crash has already happened.

Hi Sal,
Just wondering how things have been going for you since you posted the above? I'm also considering buying on the Fassaugh Road - any advice? Thanks!

It depends what end of faussagh road it's pretty long if it's down before the roundabout at the gaa club that ends pretty quiet after that it can be pretty noisey. Teenagers tend to hang around the shops at night-time.
Hope this helps.

Yeah it's quiet enough that end - the shops at that end don't open too late. At the other end the shops would be open till 9 and in one case 11 so you get groups just hanging around there.

Well I'm in the process of buying a terraced house on Fassaugh Road - small but has a great concrete shed, which is crucial to me as I need an office.

Back