Buying House with My Partner

Fee

Myself & my partner have just bought a house together,
this will be my first time buying a house, so should be classed
as first time buyer, but my partner owned a house before,
he is divorced & signed the house over to his x wife,
but we haev been told that we will have to pay stamp duty
because his x wife did not stay in the house he signed over to her for,
x amount of months, we now have to pay €15,000 in stamp duty..

Has anyone been in this situation?

Ye the solicitor is saying that we will have to pay stamp duty,
new law only came in 2 months ago that if you sign over the family home
the ex wife has to stay in the house for 6 months or soo.. which she didn't... which i think is silly.. as this is my first time buying a house,
wouldnt mind if we even had to pay half, but we have to pay the full amount

This is a very interesting case. I think you should take it that you will have to pay stamp duty but make an appeal to the REvenue on the grounds that your partner fulfilled the terms of the conditions in so far as he could- the fact that his ex-wife did not remain in the house was outside his control- and see if in the circumstances they will mitigage the stamp duty. What the hell, it's worth a try. Certainly I think its something that needs to be reformed- it is most inequitable for your partner.

This is a very interesting case. I think you should take it that you will have to pay stamp duty but make an appeal to the REvenue on the grounds that your partner fulfilled the terms of the conditions in so far as he could- the fact that his ex-wife did not remain in the house was outside his control- and see if in the circumstances they will mitigage the stamp duty. What the hell, it's worth a try. Certainly I think its something that needs to be reformed- it is most inequitable for your partner.

I was thinking about writing into the Revenue, as i think it is very unfair, they have you any way you turn, why it makes a difference if his ex wife stayed in the family home or moved should have nothing to do with my partner, he should be classed as first time buyer as he made no profit in the house he signed over & it is my first house, i wouldnt mind if it was even half of the stamp duty we had to pay , but its the full wack €15,000

Back