Buying from Ikea in Belfast

cbruen1

Hi all - I'm planning a trip to Belfast this weekend from Dublin. I need to buy some stuff for my house - a wardrobe for a small box room and a double bed - so I thought I'd head to Ikea while I'm there. I don't have a van or access to one - has anyone bought bulky stuff there and got it back to Dublin?

Just looking for ideas on the best way to get the stuff home. Their delivery charge is quite high - £100 sterling for only 2 trolleys.

Ta muchly,

Ciaran.

Bus eireann run a service to IKEA Belfast 7 days a week

[broken link removed]

Would you consider hiring a van yourself and driving it to Ikea. Some company's do a weekend rate. Approx: €150 for Saturday to Monday.

Check that Bus Eireann still run this service - the driver told me last week that they were wrapping it up at the end of January.

Would you consider hiring a van yourself and driving it to Ikea. Some company's do a weekend rate. Approx: €150 for Saturday to Monday.

Ya thinking about that alright. When driving is Ikea difficult to get to from Dublin...anyone know the route or have any good online maps? Do rental cars have GPS these days...never used in-car GPS but might work.

Cheers,
Ciaran

Ya thinking about that alright. When driving is Ikea difficult to get to from Dublin...anyone know the route or have any good online maps? Do rental cars have GPS these days...never used in-car GPS but might work.

Cheers,
Ciaran

Hire cars and vans for an extra €20 a day they throw in the sat nav, they are invaluable if you are on roads you dont know. Get Ikeas address of the website type it in and follow the little road could not be easier.

Very easy to get to, just follow the M1 heading for Belfast city centre and George Best airport (not the out of town airport), as you get close to the city centre you'll see signs for Ikea and just follow them. The store is rigth next door to the airport (the restaurant overlooks the runway). When you get there, don't forget to pick up an 'Ikea Family' membership card (you don't have to sign up if you don't want to) and this gives you free tea and coffee in the restaurant. If you do decide to fill in the form it gives you additional special offers throughout the store.

Delivery is expensive to the South but as a suggestion, why don't you hire a bigger van between a group of friends, and all head up in the car(s) and the van and make a day of it. You can all go nuts on the Swedish meatballs and Dimebar cakes and then go crazy with the shopping and load it all into the one van. On the way back (or up) I recommend stopping off at 'The Outlet' in Banbridge (you pass right by it) for some more retail therapy in some really good shops, then if you've any space left in the van (or cash leftover) stop in Newry and fill up with beer.
Thats what I did recently and we all had a great day.

PS Dn't forget the excellent value Ikea breakfast @ 99p but they stop serving it at 10:30

Get Ikeas address of the website type it in and follow the little road could not be easier.

I used the post code off Ikea's website to 'sat nav' my way and ended up in a Harland and Wolfe ship repair yard!!!
I'd second the directions that ASFKAP gave, following the signs for the airport.

I have rented a van-freezer and went to Ikea to Belfast.It was my best decision ever...We bought everything for the house starting from hooks to beds...It is a very good value. Do your research before you go!

We got 2 trolleys delivered recently and they held quite a lot of stuff. You can pack the trolleys dense and as high as the trolley handles.

Delivery of 100stg costs is less than the cost of renting a van for the weekend, plus less hassle. Unless of course you are pooling in for a large van with a group of friends

Do your research before you go!

I cant emphasise how important this is. Everything takes time (from searching through the self serve to collecting the stuff from the full serve. Even walking through the shop takes an age and since the delivery to Ireland is via a 3rd party, you have to go through a separate queue. None of the above take a particularly long time (I have always found them reasonable) but they do add up.

anon473

Does anyone know is there much in the Ikea shop that is not in the catalogue and website?

Everything in the shop is on the website, and you can check the stock and find out where (aisle and shelf no.) items are stored in the warehouse. I really really recommend you look up the locations of anything you're planing to buy and make a note of it, it will save you so much time and possibly a nervous breakdown too.

Re the delivery, if you think you'll fill two pallets (and I know that's hard to estimate) then do shell out for delivery. I went twice and the first time we hired a van, which an Ikea employee helped us load up, but when we got the van home it was a nightmare to unload. The second time we got it delivered and they put the stuff in whatever room we wanted, it was worth twice the money.

Everything in the shop is on the website,

I've found the website to be tedious. I went up there for a look around and then searched for the items on the web - guess what? not there. They turned up eventually but it was so difficult that I left it.

There's a company called box4less or some such that will collect your goods from Ikea, deliver to the Republic and even (at an extra charge) put the stuff together for you. I've no connection with them (or I'd remember their name better ! :D )

EDIT: they're called NotBoxes

I've found the website to be tedious. I went up there for a look around and then searched for the items on the web - guess what? not there. They turned up eventually but it was so difficult that I left it.

There's a company called box4less or some such that will collect your goods from Ikea, deliver to the Republic and even (at an extra charge) put the stuff together for you. I've no connection with them (or I'd remember their name better ! :D )

I suppose it could seem "tedious" because there is such a lot of stuff, but it's easy enough to search by room and then type of furniture. The only time I couldn't find stuff on the website was when I searched for it by name and didn't put in a Swedish accent on a letter. I would certainly say the website is much less tedious than finding items in the showroom, writing down the item numbers and warehouse locations, and then trying to find them in the warehouse.

The Ikea experience can be overwhelming, especially if you're getting a significant amount of stuff, and it really does pay off to be as prepared as possible before you get there - even if it is tedious.

BTW, not quite sure how you would tell a company to collect goods for you from Ikea if you didn't know exactly what you wanted - and if you had to go to the shop to find out what it was you wanted, wouldn't it be just easier to take the stuff home yourself as you're there?

BTW, not quite sure how you would tell a company to collect goods for you from Ikea if you didn't know exactly what you wanted - and if you had to go to the shop to find out what it was you wanted, wouldn't it be just easier to take the stuff home yourself as you're there?

Have to try out the sofas before I buy them! and sadly they won't fit into a hatchback.....

Back