buying foreign currency

T

traveler

Hi,
Is there any where I can get info on the net, or does anyone know where is giving the best foreign currency exchange rates at the moment.

This is for changing about 1000 euro into Japanese yen.

If its the current rate you're looking for there's a calculator here on the web. As regards the best deal you'll have to shop around but take into account not only the rate but what commision if any is being charged. Problem with yen is that you're limited in who will have them I'd imagine.

here is a solution

Got to the website www.xe.com.

this site doesn`t charge you any commission for exchanging your money

that gives you interest rate changes every 30 seconds.if you are changing your money into yen for investment reasons then i would wait a while because the exchane from euro to yen isn`t very good at the moment.the excahge rate is 128 yen to 1 euro.a couple of weeks ago it was 136 yen to 1 euro.

if you use www.xe.com site to exchange your currency let me know how you got on.i would like to open an account with them to start investing in exchange rates.

Has anyone esle used this site www.xe.com

shop around on the net?

Hi,
thanks. It's just for travel, not investing or anything like that. So I don't know if it would be worth it to open an account with xe.com

I know I'll ahve to shop around but I was wondering if it's possible to do the leg work on the net. i.e find the different rates and commisions charged at different places without having to physically going around the places my self.

Thanks again.

Re: shop around on the net?

but I was wondering if it's possible to do the leg work on the ne
Let your fingers do the walking - phone around.

Off Topic

off topic I know, but travelling to Japan myself in next few months, be interested to know what you have got planned?

re:eek:ff topic

do you know if that is a good site todoing business with.
i know that they don`t charge commission but they get their money some where along the line when you trade your currency

Does anyone have an account with www.xe.com ??????
could you please tell me if they are any good

Re: re:eek:ff topic

Last time I had a bit of money to change I just got myself downtown near a branch of the main banks, queued up at the FX desk in each bank and asked how much I would get in USD for X amount of EUR, including commissions, etc . . .

Took about 10 or 15 minutes - I can't remember how much it saved me, but I remember it was well worth it. Something like €30 or €40 on about €1,000. Better in my pocket (briefly) than theirs.

You can also ring around, but the problem is that by the time you get down to the branch the rates might have changed. Maybe not by much, but possibly by enough to eliminate the gain of going to one bank over the other.

z

To all queries about using xe.com, I use them quite regularly to send large sums of money back to South Africa, and I've never had a problem with them. When I registered with them originally, I was quite concerned that I was sending them money that I had no guarantee of getting back my cash, but having phoned them I have since recieved copies of their insurances etc. and have now used them for a while. The process is quite simple in that you wire them the money in the currency you want to sell so that your bank does not charge you a foreign exchange fee, and they then buy the currency you want to buy, and send it onto your nominated bank account. They do charge a wire fee, but it's almost nothing. Your only costs are doing the wire from your bank and xe.com doing the wire to your nominated bank account. They make their money on the markup between the rate they give you and what they actually get it for. And they do get the best rate around. I typically get about 65c more on the Rand than what Barclays quote me, and that makes quite a sizeable difference. Again it also depends on how much you looking to exchange. Note that their web site quotes mean rates, and are not the actual rates that you will get with them. You have to be registered and actually booking a trade to get an exchange quote. Hope this helps all those out there that are curious about this and are a bit nervous to step off into the deep end. A typical trade takes about 2 days from Barclays to their account and another 2-3 days to get to SA, which is about the same time if I do the transaction direct with Barclays.

Zag's approach is best. Although if your local branch is anything like the banks in Tallaght I'd ring rather than Queue. In the Past AIB have generally been the best value in FX, contrary to what you might believe if you listened to Charlie Bird.
But it's worth checking.

As for the question above about how a website is making money without charging commission, the answer is "The Spread". The difference between the price they Buy Currency for and the price they sell it for.

If they give you a little less Yen for your Euro, and when you come home they give you a little Less Euro for your Yen, they can make as much and more than someone charging commission.

Never assume that the place you bought your foreign Currency from is he best place to change it back.

Shop Around but don't kill yourself. As Zag pointed out it can be as much as €30 or €40 in €1000. That actually surprised me but it cuold well be true. But the question is how much time are you willing to spend earning a possible €40? If it's 10 or 15 minutes, I think most of us would do it.

If it's 1-2 hours queued in Banks and walking between them, I'd leave the €40 where it is.

You can also ring around, but the problem is that by the time you get down to the branch the rates might have changed. Maybe not by much, but possibly by enough to eliminate the gain of going to one bank over the other.

I don't know about all the banks, but in those that I do know about it would be very unusual for customer rates to change during the day. They are generally updated in the morning and stay the same all day.

Market rates do fluctuate all the time, but customer rates would tend to be locked in in the morning. With the involvement of IFSRA the banks obviously need to be able to go back to any date in the past and explain what rates they were using. This would be virtually impossible with fluctuating customer rates.

-Rd

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use xetrade.com (on xe.com) and crcowen summed it up well. It's works well if you send money from country to country on a regular basis, The spread was the lowest I could find for this type of service, and I got charged a wire fee of £8 last night for sending £2000 to Ireland from UK, all done on-line as well. It'll take about a week. If you send from Ireland, the money has to go through the xetrade euro account in Germany, and I'm not aware of any on-line banking service where you can transfer on-line to a euro account in another country, so it's the old-fashioned filling out of form and calling into your branch to do that.

evoke, try something like oanda.com or fxcm.com if you're interested in trading currencies for "investment" reasons as you put it...

Back