Buying DVD Recorder on the Internet

B

Buzziebeee

Anyone ever bought anything like a VCR or TV over the internet.?

I am thinking of investing in a JVC DVD recorder and can save €200 by buying from a UK online store.

Are there any downsides?

Rgds
Buzzie

I've purchased various items (Digital camera, DVD player, memory, etc.) over the internet when it proved to be best value option. Down sides? You need to include shipping in the total cost. If you have a product issues, returns are likely to be more awkward.

BTW, I'm also thinking of buying a DVD Recorder and was thinking of the Philips DVDR75 from Amazon.

DVD Recorder

One word of advice - There are 2 different DVD recordng systems and they are not compatabile with one another (kinda like Beta and VHS used to be)
AFAIK Phillips use one system and Sony/Panasonic the other. Furthermore each system has different functionality so before you decide you should ensure you are fully aware of the pros and cons of either system.

Re: DVD Recorder

I'm also looking at buying a DVD Recorder.
Had a Philips Video but it didn't perform that well so I'm thinking of a Sony 399 in Xtravision.
You have 3 formats DVD-R(W), DVD R(W) and DVD-RAM.
DVD-RAM is basically a hard disk but is not compatible with most DVD players.
Have a look at the following website for info.
www.videohelp.com/dvd.htm
If you google "DVD Recorders" you have a small bit of reading available to you!

Re: DVD Recorder

Buziebeee
What happens if something goes wrong with it?
The cost of getting it back to the UK would probably
cancel the savings.

Potential savings

The model I am thinking of buying is a JVC MH20 with an 80gb Hard disk, You use the Hard disk for day to day recordings and only archeive on to DVD what you want.
Also the hard disk is always on so if you get in late and miss the first 15 minutes of the news you can watch it from the start while it continues recording.

The Price from the UK over the net including shipping is €675. The best price I can find in Ireland is €865.

My only worry is will JVC in Ireland cover the Warranty when I buy it in the UK

Re: Potential savings

www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-JV...by_Digital

2 of them have it for 307.46 GBP (around EURO 460.00).
No idea if they are kosher or not but if you paid for it by Credit Card then at least you would be covered if you had any problems.

Re: Potential savings

Just noticed the 2 cheapest don't deliver outside of the UK!

dvd recorder

dvd ram has a lot of advantages a la time slip etc. if you have to retain vhs, the jvc model in dixons is the best bet but is a complete rip off at 699 euro. basically a vhs dvd recorder combi with all the attributes you want i.e vhs, dvd-r, dvd+r, and, most importantly, dvd ram which means when the phone rings u can pause live tv.

as regards internet purchases, please remember the video standards, - UK and Ireland have PAL I, Europe has other PAL standards which will not be compatible as regards tv recording or playback and US is NTSC so DO NOT BOTHER!

Am i right? Me thinks so!

Philips DVDR

Hi dearg Doom,

I bought the Philips DVDR 75 for E299 in three weeks ago - Philips shop on Princes St in Cork next to the entry to the English market. This works out about the same as STG 169 plus shipping.

Okay DVDR - did crash once. A bit like a PC!

Rgds, ngirl

Dvd Recorder

Simply computers in the Uk are selling a DVD recorder which is also a multi region player for £179 which is about €265. Assuming shipping is not prohibitive, I will buy one of these...

heres the link...

[broken link removed]

Regards,

Paul

Hold on before purchasing DVD recorder..

Read a comment on a techy website (sorry cant remember which one) which stated in the next 6 months the price of recorders will fall by 40-50% due to demand...so maybe hang if you can!!

Re: Hold on before purchasing DVD recorder..

There's also somethign funny about the TV Frequencies in Ireland vs. UK ... Something like we use VHF and UHF bands where as UK is UHF only.
Some (but not all) of the equipment sold in the UK has a UHF only tuner .. therefore if you use it over here you will not be able to tune in all TV channels on your DVD-Recorder (same applies to Videos/TVs - anything with a Tuner to pick up TV signals)

I think a lot of the stuff you can buy in the UK would be okay but you just need to be careful that the stuff has a dual band tuner or whatever

For a less vague and more precise answer than I've given here I think there's more info than you'll ever need on www.avforums.com/ (UK Site) ... do a search there for "ireland" and you'll find a much better explanation of the above.

Back