Buying - Car Mileage

Leesider32

Hey all,

Looking at buying a second hand car, thinking of a 2107 Passat 2.0 coming in at around €18k, issue is the mileage is 150k. Would you have concerns about this? I do very little mileage, max 10k a year.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Did you ask seller why such high mileage? What parts have been replaced on the car so far? maybe ask them for the service history log

When buying and asking such questions best to adopt the Russian proverb, "trust, but verify". ;)

Miles or kilometers? You mention mileage but a 2017 car will be calibrated in km unless it's a UK import.

Looking at 2017 Passats listed for sale around the 18k mark, average looks to be about 160k km.

First of all, I know nothing about cars. But I wouldn't buy a car with 150k on the clock in 5 years. More mileage means more wear and tear. If the owners hasn't had parts replaced already, they may need to be soon. Ask for the log history...that's if they have one. If they went to a small garage for servicing, they won't have one. Also consider bringing a mechanic with you to look at the car. If you are going to spend €18k on a car with that much mileage, paying a few hundred extra to get an expert view of the mechanics of the car is money well spent.

And check the tyres too. When were they replaced? A set of tyres will cost you €500. You don't want to have to fork out for them in a few months either.

150K Kms is nothing really if the car has been taken care of. How many owners, has the timing belt/chain been done, good and fully verifiable service history. Too many previous owners would be a worry for me. 2nd hand cars are dear now, but if you need one, there's not a lot you can do.

CarTell say the Irish annual average for diesel cars is 24k km, so this is 25% up on that, but not excessive.

I was admiring a very clean well kept 2018 vehicle one day, one owner from new.
There was 300000km on the clock.

3 years ago,I bought a 3 year old Skoda Octavia with 150k Kms direct off the leasing company.It cost 10,500.
I see 3 year old examples on the same site going for 17 now.

Thanks for all the replies and questions to ask the dealer. What length of warranty should I be asking for? Always think it is quite dodgy when it is only for 3 months, haven't asked the question of this one yet.

Thanks for all the replies and questions to ask the dealer. What length of warranty should I be asking for? Always think it is quite dodgy when it is only for 3 months, haven't asked the question of this one yet.
From a dealership? 12 months I'd say.

You’ll pay higher for a 12 month warranty but you should consider what’s covered under warranty.

it depends how the those 150k were driven, if the driver was careful you should not be worried, if the car was forced every single minute and the engine was rawring all the time, well, I would verify this car really careful.

Back