buying business supplies in NI or online

K

kaituna

I am in the process of setting up and running a boarding cattery business (sole trader, vat registered) and have a couple of qs re buying supplies for my business.

After lookign around I have found that there is a much wider range of pet supplies available up North and online than there is here in southern Ireland. Surprise, surprise prices are almost always better up north too!

So my question is regarding claiming vat back. I know that If I am buying pet supplies here or from an Irish website I can reclaim the vat no problem, but what happens if I buy them up north or from a non-Irish online retailer? If for example if I walk into a pet store in Enniskillen or Newry and buy some items off the shelf, and just get a standard receipt which includes UK vat, is there any way to claim the vat back on that? I know there's some rule about no vat on intra-EU supply so maybe if I tell the girl at the counter I was a vat registered business in Ireland, she would deduct the vat from the receipt?? (Doubt it!)

Also one final question (re vat again). If I buy something for my business in a normal retail store here, e.g. Tesco, B&Q etc, is the till receipt enough to reclaim the vat or do I need to ask them for a proper vat receipt? Do all retailers give a proper vat receipt if you ask for one? I know Argos do but not sure of others???

New on this forum so sorry if these qs have been asked before, but I did try searching and couldn't find anything that specifically answered my questions.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Quote:
"The country consisting of the 26 counties not in Northern Ireland is called the Republic of Ireland. "

Miaoooowwwwww!!!!!
- don't need to ask what way you voted mathepac!

If you show the NI supplier your vat number yuo shouldnt be charged vat. If you are, you can reclaim

Back