Buying Back Years - Nurse

legoland

Hi,
New to the site but the amount of knowledge Ive picked up about avc's (avoiding cornmarket) etc has been first class.
Have one quick question. I work as a midwife in a job sharing capacity in one of Dublins main maternity hospitals. I worked full time up until 6 years ago when my first child was born. Im 13 years a midwife and I need to know how I go about buying back years. I want to be able to contribute a % of my salary every month to start buying back years. Can this be done trough the HR dept or Superannuation dept in the hospital or do I need to go to a broker?. Ive read that a broker gets no commission from buying back years so Im sure none of them will be interested and all they will do is try to flog me extras.
Just want to start as soon as possible. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,
You need to contact the pensions dept in your hospital. They will calculate the amount it will cost to buy back the missing time. You then have the choice to pay it in one go or to have it deducted from salary over a period of years.

Cornmarket only deal with the AVCs, the HSE deal with buying back years or purchase of notional service. Just be aware that purchase of notional service can be quite expensive (I was quoted between 10k and 20k per year purchased).

Back