Buying apartment in tourist hotspot to do airbnb

Where is Airbnb calling for regulation? Can you post a link? I dont think they are unless you can demonstrate otherwise.

What needs to be done is airbnb themselves need to regulate/restrict/monitor etc those individuals that are causing problems for others through their hosting. Airbnb the platform doesnt need to be regulated by governments in the same way that facebook doesnt need to be. Governments have better things to be doing. As long as individuals pay their tax then governemnts should leave the management/policing/monitoring etc of the platform to airbnb itself.

If individuals want to have multiple lettings then so be it, its a free world. If, as part of having multiple lettings, they are annoying others then it is uP to airbnb, the host and the aggrieved parties to sort it out. The government has no business in getting involved in this and making more laws and policies.

Thanks sarenco. Fair enough thats pretty definitive!

However i refer back to my 1st post in this forum and im not seeing the answer in that article.

What is driving the call for new regulation?

What new regulation is required or being proposed?

Username mentioned above some reasons why he thinks there should be regulations but isnt this just more unnesseray red tApe? He mentioned parking, fire escapes? Really? Regulation for these things? Also, so what if someone earns a bit more from using airbnb? Who cares? The only issue as i see it with airbnb is when there is abuse of the platform ie the temple bar example. In that case it should be dealt with by airbnb and not by government regulation.

There is no actual need to regulate airbnb and surely this is all just a bit of hot air.

Where is Airbnb calling for regulation? Can you post a link? I dont think they are unless you can demonstrate otherwise.[/QUOTE]

The Airbnb guy was interviewed in the first part of a BBC documentary shown last Sunday evening - called "Secrets of Silicon Valley". It was about the "disruption" of traditional business models by the new Tech Giants (not only Airbnb). He attributed the problems and protests in Barcelona to regulation not having caught up with the new business model. He specifically referred to limiting multiple letters. My interpretation was that he saw regulation as inevitable (at least in that market) and he was trying to limit the extent of it.

The Airbnb guy was interviewed in the first part of a BBC documentary shown last Sunday evening - called "Secrets of Silicon Valley". It was about the "disruption" of traditional business models by the new Tech Giants (not only Airbnb). He attributed the problems and protests in Barcelona to regulation not having caught up with the new business model. He specifically referred to limiting multiple letters. My interpretation was that he saw regulation as inevitable (at least in that market) and he was trying to limit the extent of it.

Thanks easyrider.

Disruption to traditional markets is a good thing, imo.

What exactly were the protests over? Whatever it was, could it not be something that airbnb themselves police without the need for government interference?

Even the limiting multihosts (or whatever theyre called), surely thats something airbnb should be doing.

My whole prob with this is the call for government regulation. I think thats just not necessary and ultimately wont happen at least in ireland

What exactly were the protests over

jim - it was only one section of the programme so not very detailed. The main emphasis of the protesters, though, was that Airbnb was forcing up rents and limiting availability for locals/natives in the city and pushing them out.

Back to the OPs issue, the potential for this Bord Pleanala ruling to be applied widely should be considered.

DCC are currently assessing the impact airbnb has had on the rental market with a report to be published in October with recommendations on how to address.

Regarding Spain and the regulation issue I have found these quotes :

On Wednesday, Barcelona’s councilor for city planning, Janet Sanz, said she planned to visit Montse Pérez and stated that Airbnb was the only platform that continues to post adverts for properties without the relevant paperwork.

“The message to Airbnb is clear: enough is enough. The question is no longer who is right or wrong: the problem is Airbnb is hurting locals by [broken link removed] and [hurting] small property owners. Those who don’t comply [with the law] are going to come up against an administration that is on the side of the locals and defending their rights,” said Sanz.

Peter Huntingford, public affairs spokesman for Airbnb, categorically denied claims it had not cooperated with Barcelona. “We are committed to being good partners to cities and have worked closely with officials in city hall and the Generalitat [regional government],” he said.

“Legislation needs to differentiate between regular people sharing their homes and professionals running a business.

Whatever about government regulations the OMC may have an issue with short term lettings. I think there was an injunction given in the south west of the country against someone doing short term lets in a development

You suggested Swords had over 300 properties on Airbnb in April. By July it's 50.

You do know they include individual rooms in their results? It's now August, and I stated '51 results for entire home, 300+ total results'

You do know they include individual rooms in their results? It's now August, and I stated '51 results for entire home, 300+ total results'
Indeed. Hence I'm puzzled why you said this.

I think it has some merit, and is at least affecting the number of properties available for rent. The reports back in April pointed to only 4 properties being available to let in Swords down from a pre-airbnb typical figure of ~250. At the same time, an airbnb search stopped at the max 300 results for short term lets.

I'm not seeing what's puzzling with that? There was some news coverage at the time and a thread here which said that a few years ago, the number of properties available to let in Swords on the likes of Daft at any one time was typically ~250, at the time they reported only 4 being available on Daft.

The suggestion was that airbnb was having an impact on the number of unit available for longer term lets. No one said that they'd still expect the total number of properties to be around the 250 mark today, just that there was an impact.

Sounds like fake news. It's no surprise that the supply of rented properties in Swords has collapsed dramatically but to talk of it being "down from a pre-airbnb typical figure" is totally misleading.

Reactions: jjm
It is a factor, it's just not the only factor. I think most commentators are also wise enough to point out that a significant factor in the popularity of listing properties on airbnb is the onerous and ever increasing requirements placed on landlords through legislation changes over the past few years.

Back