Buying apartment - Before we move in

iamaspinner

Close to signing (I hope). It's a 10 year old 3-bed apartment of 90 sqm or so. I'd like to get a wall knocked down (almost certainly not load bearing), repair walls (cover holes mostly), paint all walls. Survey came up with advisories such as ventilation needed in 2 bedrooms, sand and repaint exterior window/balcony wooden frames, replace balcony floor (rotten wood).

If I wanted to get all this done, would it be cheaper to get one set of guys to do it all (if I found such set) or better to get them individually?

I wouldn't mind leaving the advisories above for a later date but would very much like to get the wall removed and the walls sorted before we move in. How much should I expect to pay for these roughly (in Dublin)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Well first off congrats on your new apartment the first thing I would do is the balcony making that safe and secure is is very important probably a good painter and decorator should do a lot of it for you. If wall you want to take down is a stud wall "slab and timber, it would be handy taken down if its block well thats a big enough job and need to get someone reputable, best of luck anyway.

It is very unlikely that you will be allowed to remove a wall in an apartment building. Check your lease for full details.

Leo is correct. Most if not all management companies will insist on plans and and engineers report before any work can be done. It is also generally part of the rules that layout changes are not allowed so tread carefully. Not sure on your budget but if you replace the windows they will have vents in the timber included. This may be a better option and cheaper in the long run. Make sure that you use the same window type when replacing though and maybe check with neighbors who had it done for recommendations. A good plasterer will be able to do all the work for you regarding the other bits but maybe consider getting the electricity done at the same time (Probable cost for lecky would be 2 to 3k for that I'd say).

Thank you all for your replies. It is a stud wall. I asked the surveyor about it when he was at the apartment and he said I would need to speak to the management company and get an engineer's report to say it is not a load bearing wall. I know other apartments in the same building have had this wall removed. I just don't know if they went the "legal" route. I'll try and get some info from them.

I don't think I need to change the windows. I couldn't afford it now anyway. The report said just to take care of the outside frames.

Depending on the lease the balcony and external window frames may come under the management company's responsibility also. So wort checking if they have planned maintenance in this regard.

Depending on the lease the balcony and external window frames may come under the management company's responsibility also. So wort checking if they have planned maintenance in this regard.

Thank you, gravitygirl. I do need to check that. It's also on the surveyor's report. Would be nice if it was covered!

Back