Home Buying and renovating an old home, cannot get insurance

rob30

I am looking to buy an old redbrick that is over 100 years old.

It needs total gutting and will be uninhabited for ca 4 months.

It is currently uninhabited ( executors sale).

I was planning on signing contracts next week but I cannot get insurance to cover the time that house will be empty and being rebuilt.

Our contracting company insures all its own staff.

I see wrecks being renovated all the time so they must have insurance.

I have tried a few brokers who were not really able to help, and approaching the insurance companies themselves results in an apology and a refusal.

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Generally a contractor has an all risks policy that covers the sites he is working on and the work he does.

What exactly are you trying to insure here?

I am looking to get a standard house policy ( flood, fire, breakin etc) that my bank requires before they can give me a mortgage.

you won't be able to get a standard household policy. You are going to have to take out a fire only or building in the course or renovation policy. Because of the current state of the property and the fact that it will be unoccupied these are the only suitable things to get.

We bought a derelict cottage about 7 years ago and did a big renovation/extension job on it. We got a 'buildings in course of renovation' policy on it (from RSA) and the bank were satisfied with that. Once the renovation was completed, we switched to a regular policy with RSA.

Anyone got an update on this insurance matter.
I have bought and will not be moving in for a few months

At the present who is giving the best value insurance ?
I rang a few brokers but they did not want to know. will try Crome and RSA

Most brokers deal with a number of insurance companies that provide cover for unoccupied houses.

This is of personal importance to me so I did some research. There is a difference between liability (and types of insurance-cover available/necessary) for 'a vacant property' as opposed to 'a property in process of renovation'. In the latter case, foundations, skeleton of utility services including access roads, already exist.......otherwise it could not be classified as 'a dwelling', regardless of age or condition. This is distinct from both a property being newly-constructed (a building site) or a property which has no-one currently living in it, or where the owner is absent for more than the period specified by the home insurance policy.

Back