Buying a UK car - please don't tell me to do a search

oopsbuddy

I HAVE searched, and searched, and searched, and I think I know, but I just want to ask a straightforward question - if I buy a used car in the UK or NI:

(1) as long as it was first registered in 2008, I understand that the VRT payable on import will be based on the CO2 emissions, but

(2) does the car have to be later than June 2008 (and must it have over a certain mileage) to opt for road tax on EITHER the old c.c. system or based on emissions?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks

If registered before June `08 you pay tax on engine c.c.
If registered after June `08 you pay tax on Co2 emission.
It must have more than 6000 kilometers on it too.

I am nearly sure one it is a 2008 at all you are on the co2 tax.

the 6 months gave people with big dirty cars to opt for the old tax system that suited them better.

A giuy I know was advised to tax his jan 2008 car for 6 months as the tax would be cheaper in the second half of the year.

A jan 2008 car is on the co2 rate.

If registered before June `08 you pay tax on engine c.c.
If registered after June `08 you pay tax on Co2 emission.
It must have more than 6000 kilometers on it too.

Sorry Iggy your Incorrect here. Once registered in the UK in 08 you can get lower c02 emission car tax rate here even if pre june.

Don't know and never heard of 6000 Km rule.

the 6000km rule is for counting a car as being new or used.

Car must be over 6 months old and have over 6000 km's to be considered 2nd hand.

I think you may have opened my eyes here.

I was under the impression that if you imported a car from the UK it would be taxed on the C02 emmissions regardless of it's age as it would be the 1st time it was registered in Ireland.

Obviously I am very wrong.

I HAVE searched, and searched, and searched, and I think I know, but I just want to ask a straightforward question - if I buy a used car in the UK or NI:

(1) as long as it was first registered in 2008, I understand that the VRT payable on import will be based on the CO2 emissions, but

(2) does the car have to be later than June 2008 (and must it have over a certain mileage) to opt for road tax on EITHER the old c.c. system or based on emissions?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks

(1) All cars, regardless of age, are charged VRT on the emissions unless its a classic or vintage.

(2a) If the car was first registered in UK/NI before 1st Jan 08 it will have road tax charged on old C.C. system.

(2b)If the car was first registered in UK/NI on or after 1st Jan 08 it will have road tax charged on the new CO2 emissions system.

Amount of mileage will only determine the VRT payable as the OMSP will be higher, thus increasing the VRT amount. It will not effect the road tax charged on the car.

Hope that clears it up for you :)

Back